Smallest / Cheapest Micro ATX for Room for GTX580

min2209

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Hi all,

first time poster here, but have always admired the level of community knowledge around in this forum :)

I'm looking to build a small and cheap but powerful micro ATX machine that would still accomodate a GTX580. What is a good starting point? I'd like an Intel i5 based CPU, don't have too much requirements for storage (actually wouldn't have a problem with just 1 or 2 2.5" HDD, but open to suggestions!

Key focus:
1) Must have enough space for a single standard GTX580
2) Should be cheap
3) Should be as compact as possible

Don't needs:
1) Don't need a lot of storage (honestly, one 500 GB 2.5" would be enough, or just one standard desktop size HDD slot)
2) Don't need OC overhead
3) Don't need ODD bay (got external USB one already)

Thanks all!

min2209

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Sorry - forgot to fill out the form :$

Approximate Purchase Date: Anytime really

Budget Range: Under $500 but as cheap as possible

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Play games, watch movies

Parts Not Required: Already got keyboard, mouse, 1080p monitor, GTX580, PSU (got a selection of them, different sizes etc so don't worry about that!)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Anywhere is good. Amazon preferred.

Parts Preferences: Nothing. I'd like something to accomodate like an Intel Core i5

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Additional Comments: I'd like the case to be as small and light as possible

Pezcore27

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
This case should fit that card just fine:

Rosewill RANGER-M Dual Fans MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147122

I am taking it that since you filled out that you will not be overclocking that you are using the 2300, 2400, or 2500 (non "K") i5 processors. In this case I would suggest this motherboard:

Intel BOXDH67BLB3 LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121506

This is a very very stable motherboard. I recently helped in a i3-2100 build for a friend with this board (he got it free, so he didnt complain) and it booted first time, had easy to understand BIOS, setup in a snap, and had all the connections he was looking for i.e. Sata III and USB 3.0. He fit a 550ti on the board and had no problem using that same Rosewill case as mentioned above.

G

The case will be the hardest thing to find, if you can find a graphics card with a low profile bracket that makes it easier :)

min2209

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Ooh, I see! Thanks for everyone's help! I am actually considering just an i3-2100, as it should probably be sufficient for budget gaming. One question though - would there be significant heat issues in these mATX cases?

Cheers

g-unit1111

Titan

min2209

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
How much smaller is a tower shaped mATX case than a full sized tower? The reason I'm trying to build something like this is really because I'm a ... student, who has to carry all his stuff around all the time because of moving to and from internships. I was looking at the cube shaped mATX cases and they seemed small, but if it's a vertically standing one - is that practical?

Thanks!

g-unit1111

Titan

You're not really going to notice much of a difference between mATX and a full ATX build. Either way you can't go wrong. You should really look at that article I linked to as that shows you how to build an mATX build with powerful components even if you're on a limited budget.

serialkiller

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
buy i3 2100 from micro center as they sell very cheap :D

also u wont need to choose that which mobo u should get only if u want to sli then it is of question.

The best micro atx mobo is asus maximus iv gene but also the costliest :lol:

the above case of silverstone should be considered

i hope this would help :hello: