Smallest E-ATX Chassis?

DDWill

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
I am going to build a new workstation. I have already chosen all the internal components I need, just having problems finding the right chassis. I am looking for a chassis that will directly fit one of SuperMicro’s X8 E-ATX motherboards measuring 12” x 13” inches, with all the mounting holes used and lined up correctly. I already know of several full tower cases that these boards have been tested in, but what I am looking for is the smallest possible case to house this motherboard in. I travel around a lot and sometimes the PC has to come along, so smallest possible dimensions and a very solid build are the most important things. The Titan650 and akasa’s Omega chassis seem to be about as small as I can find with a good build quality, but their width is not necessary for the SuperMicro Cpu coolers I will be using. Some of the smallest E-ATX cases I have found so far come from Chieftec but the build quality looks very poor. SuperMicro’s own chassis selections are also very compact but way overpriced, and always come with a PSU that I will not have use for, and that adds to the price tag. Any suggestions?

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
As to the width of available chassis, if its going to have 5.25" drive bays for a DVD drive the widths are going to be standard. I have not heard of an ATX case without.

mrh100

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Hi,

I was looking for the same answer only a week ago. I spent 3 solid nights trying to find the smallest EATX case with a good build quality. Like you, I found all the ones you did but in the end I settled for the Akasa Omega which suited all my needs.

I did find two cases that I thought looked really good and it was even smaller than the Chieftec but I could not find it anywhere in the UK.

Chenbro SR105 D533xW198xH425

Chenbro SR111 D533xW198xH425

Since then I have now found that Supermicro makes a mATX and ATX socket 771 motherboard. So it looks like I will be selling it and getting something smaller.

Hope this helps and it would be great to know what you get.

Mike

DDWill

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your post. I ordered the parts for my new build today. I decided to stick with my first choice, the Akasa Omega in the end. It’s still a fairly big case, but it’s the lightest E-ATX case I could find at 8.6kg and has a very solid build. The new system will be used mainly for 3d rendering so needed as many cores as possible meaning 2x 6 core Xeon’s, giving me 24 threads (when AutoDesk fix the 16 core limit bug that is!), so E-ATX is the smallest size I could go down to. My only worry is if the Supermicro board I ordered will align correctly in the MoBo tray with all the mounting holes positioned correctly, as some people have reported anything from 1 to 5 of the holes not aligning in various other cases. I will get the parts in a few days, as some parts are special order, and see how it goes.

Simon.