Smallest GTX 980's to get

Randy_Taggart

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
Hi,

I'm looking about getting two GTX 980's to replace my two MSI Lightning GTX 770's. I am having a tough decision on choosing which brand to get. With the 770's I've had a slight issue with heat due to the GPU's being very close together and with having to fit a sound card on the motherboard as well (Gigabyte G1.SNIPER 5).

My question is which are the smallest GTX 980's to get? The length of the cards is not a problem as I'm using a Coolermaster cosmos 2 case.

Many Thanks,

Randy

Brickfoot7

Distinguished
May 27, 2013
The MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G is a thin card as far as dual slot cards go. If you are having trouble with one card heating up another you might want to look into blower style GPU, such as the reference designs or EVGA's 04G-P4-1982-KR. The blower style will vent hot air out the back of the case rather than onto another card, however they run hotter in general so you may not see much of an improvement depending on how severe your heating issue is.

Randy_Taggart

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
Thanks for the answer, Brickfoot. The cards you mentioned are about 13mm smaller then the ones I have at the moment so it should fit nicely in my machine and so should the sound card :). They also seem to have a good GPU boosts. The heat issue was not as bad as mentioned but I was worried about the seating of the sound card blocking the fans to the second card, it should be better with the extra room to play with. Still debating whether to get a Titan X instead so I don't have to worry about room on the motherboard.