[SOLVED] SMART drive error- main SSD or the secondary drive?

splunge

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
I have a 5 year old system rubbing Windows 10 with a main 250 GB SSD where the OS is installed and a 2 TB regular hard drive for programs that won't fit, photos, music, docs. The SSD is pretty full. My son today on booting up received a SMART drive message that it should be backed up and replaced.
Can I assume this is the SSD and not the secondary drive?

I've ordered a new SSD and a SATA-to-USB adapter to clone the drive and hopefully replace it. i was planning to download Macrium free and avoid using the system till then. Any other advice?

Thanks in advance

splunge

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Addendum
The system detects SATA6G_1 Samsung SSD..
SATA3G_1 ATAPI ...
SATA6G_2 ST20000DM001-1CG164
SATA3G_2 ATAPI iHDS118 6

SATA6G_2 ST20000DM001-1CG164
SMART status Bad, Backup, and Replace

Windows explorer does not see the 2 TB drive and links to content on it give an error message.

I was mistaken and CrystalDisk did not see the 2TB HD either (it recognised a USB drive)

What now?

splunge

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
I have a backup of documents, photos but no recent back ups of installed programs.
The local computer shop has retrieved data off failed drives before. i'm not sure if this one is salvageable.
If I'm lucky and he can clone the dead drive, can I pop in the copy and resume running programs from it or will I still need to install the programs fresh?

I just ordered a WD WD20EZRZSP Blue which I hope works and lasts a while.