[SOLVED] SMART Failure on Brand new SSD

maximizer39

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
So long story short, I was on a fresh install of windows, which I had to re-install again due to other issues. I intended to do a fresh install off my USB, but accidentally ended up doing a restore through windows recovery or something, which was taking a lot longer. So when it was at about 2-3%, I held the power button and shut the computer down so i could just delete the partition and install windows 10 from my USB. My SSD is a Samsung 860 Qvo . The issue is, ever since then I have been getting BSODs for kernel security check failure and other things. The SSD has a 32GB cache SSD which was previously hidden, but now is visible when installing windows, and has a failure warning. Dell diagnostics also show SMART predictive failure for this drive. BIOS shows SMART EVENT when starting up. Could I really have permanently ruined this drive by shutting down during the windows installation process? And why is this preventing my from using the main 1TB SSD?

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
  1. I switched the SATA mode from RAID to AHCI. Switched it back and errors still occured.
  2. This is a brand new SSD.

Last edited:
Solution
EDIT: Okay so nevermind, this 32GB SSD is NOT built-in to the 860 QVO. Instead it is my motherboard's Intel RST Cache drive. My system is an older Dell desktop.

My new question is - how do I disable this drive completely so that the Windows installer won't see it? (I already set it to AHCI, this seems to just treat it like a normal SSD instead of a cache).
Probably msata (or m.2) drive plugged in somewhere on the board.
Find it and unplug it.

Would look similar to this:

71cb-i3bghL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

1496929894_1333849.jpg

maximizer39

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
So after reading the SMART values with both Speccy and Samsung Magician, the wear leveling count is equal to a whopping 1. That is definitely not right for a brand new SSD. It also has a power on hours value equal to over 600 days.

Meanwhile, the main drive shows all normal values.

maximizer39

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
Except my samsung 860 Qvo has a main 1TB drive which only shows 3 days worth of power on hours, and a wear leveling count of 99 iirc. The driving showing 600+ hours is the little 32GB mini SSD (cache drive or whatever the hell you call it) that is built in to the 860 Qvo.

This drive was purchased on Amazon, sold direct from Amazon as brand new.

EDIT: Okay so nevermind, this 32GB SSD is NOT built-in to the 860 QVO. Instead it is my motherboard's Intel RST Cache drive. My system is an older Dell desktop.

SO what is happening is I'm installing Windows 10 on my new SSD, but it keeps installing the System partition to the 32GB cache drive, which is corrupted, causing crashes.

My new question is - how do I disable this drive completely so that the Windows installer won't see it? (I already set it to AHCI, this seems to just treat it like a normal SSD instead of a cache).

Last edited:
Except my samsung 860 Qvo has a main 1TB drive which only shows 3 days worth of power on hours, and a wear leveling count of 99 iirc. The driving showing 600+ hours is the little 32GB mini SSD (cache drive or whatever the hell you call it) that is built in to the 860 Qvo.

This drive was purchased on Amazon, sold direct from Amazon as brand new.

SO what is happening is I'm installing Windows 10 on my new SSD, but it keeps installing the System partition to the 32GB cache drive, which is corrupted, causing crashes.

Should have that option in BIOS.

Probably msata (or m.2) drive plugged in somewhere on the board.
Find it and unplug it.

Would look similar to this:

71cb-i3bghL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

1496929894_1333849.jpg

Solution

maximizer39

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
Thank you guys. It is an mSata drive. I will try unplugging it first, since it's fried anyway, that seems to be the simplest solution. If that doesn't work I'll try disabling it in the BIOS.