Smart Fan bios settings: adjusting the case fan speed based on GPU temp

nightly1029

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
Hello, thanks for your time.

These are my current settings. I have all case fans plugged into a 4-pin fan hub, which is running to my SYS_FAN2. I'm trying to have the fan hub follow the temperature curve based on my PCI-E, but it's not adjusting.

When I turn the 20-30 degree speed up in the bios Smart Fan settings, the fans are cranking up instantly, I can hear them. But if I set 50 degree to 75-100% fan speed, startup and launch a game to hit 50-60 GPU temp, I can't hear the fans adjusting at all. (These are the loudest and one of the most powerful 140mm fans, I'd definitely hear them start screaming)

I'm applying all settings, saving before exiting, all that jazz. This hub is 100% plugged into SYS_FAN2 and working, proven by my ability to adjust the speeds manually in bios. Why might these case fans, based on PCI-E input temperature, not be adjusting outside of the bios? Thank you for taking the time to read this, I appreciate any information provided.

Solution

Might be because it's more gradual then or maybe it's based on a temperature rise over time not instant change. I always have my fans set to the CPU and my GPU fans set to take care of that.

Good 140mm fans shouldn't be screaming

Might be because it's more gradual then or maybe it's based on a temperature rise over time not instant change. I always have my fans set to the CPU and my GPU fans set to take care of that.

Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Your expectation is not reasonable. The mobo SYS_FAN header normally will manipulate the speed of its fans according to an actual temperature measured at a sensor on the MOBO. This sensor has no way of knowing what the temp is inside your GPU chip. There are VERY few system that have some way to feed the reading from any temp sensor built into a GPU chip on a video card to the mobo's SYS_FAN headers.

Most video cards (I'm assuming that is what you have - you have not given us any info) have their own cooling fan, and many of these actually do control the speed of their own fan according to the GPU temperature. To help you observe and manage that, the video card driver system often also installs a software app you can use to access and control the features of the video card, including its temperature and its cooling system. But almost none of these can feed that info out to a mobo to use to control case fans. SOME people have found ways to use a video card with such a self-control system to connect directly to some fans mounted in the case by plugging into the fan headers on the video card. That would accomplish what you seem to want - manipulating some of your case fans near the video card for GPU cooling based on the fan control system in the VIDEO CARD, not on a mobo SYS_FAN header.