smart home without high speed internet

May 12, 2018
I am trying to install smart home devices in a vacation home without high speed internet. I have a Chromecast dongle and an AT&T hotspot. Both work fine. Can I use either or both for weeks while I am absent using my iPhone to control?

May 12, 2018

Can I leave my wifi hotspot on 24/7 for weeks without my presence? Everything works fine when I am there. Chromecast is on 24/7 now when we are away. Is it possible to control our system from a distance using our chromecast dongle?

kanewolf

Titan
I want to install and control a programmable thermostat as well as watch Netflix via Chromecast in another part of the house. I have an AT&T hotspot with a Wi-Fi tower 5 miles away. We get a good strong signal. Is it possible to hook this router up to my hotspot, i.e. use the hotspot as a modem? What I want to do is extend the range of the hotspot. Is that clearer?

You can get a wireless bridge. Something like this -- https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833168115 It takes a wireless signal and can act as a router. It can also act at the same time as a WIFI source. I have no idea if you will get sufficient bandwidth to stream netflix with the Rube Goldberg setup.