Smart Partition

aaaagh

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
Could you crate a backup partition? The idea is to:
After installing win98/95 and all the dirivers for the hardwares and all the necessery programs (like winzip/ netscape/...), simply copy everything from c: to your "backup" partition (or simply burn it to a CDr).
Then if necessery (has happend to me 3 times in the last year) just coppy it back to the c: inted of reinstalling windows/drivers/programs & wverything else!
Dose it realy work? Could you even do it with win2k?

Lucol

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, it works, but the problem is that if you try copying everything while you're in Windows, some files won't copy because they are currently being used by the OS itself. I suggest you make the copy using a boot disk, and xcopy, that way you can make sure that everything is copied over to the partition, then you can burn it to a CD. I've succesfully transfered a working Windows NT from one drive to another and got it to work, so with Win2K, it should also work. With Win2K you run into a completely different problem, if you're partition is NTFS. I had to place the 2 drives on a 2nd computer, but booted with the 2nd systems own drive. Then I could copy from one drive to the other without running into problems with files being used by the OS.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lucol on 02/01/01 11:13 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

DON'T use xcopy from pure DOS!

From a DOS box within Windows (not MS-DOS mode),

XCOPY32 C:\*.* D:\*.* /s/c/h/e/r/k

Note not Xcopy.. Xcopy32. This copies everything. I've done it so many times I can't count giving me exactly the same file count on both copies. Of course, it would behoove you to shutdown any programs and TSRs before doing this. (In fact, it doesn't hurt to run msconfig for Win98/ME users and shutdown all TSR programs that load and rebooting before doing it).

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
xcopy32 with the parameters Chord mentioned should copy everything (except the Windows swap file, of course)

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"