[SOLVED] Smart TV causing ping spikes?

-HH-

Dignified
Just as the title shows, basically living with my family and there's a smart tv in the house which is causing issues when playing games, (ping), it seems to be spiking up and down, does anyone know why this might be the case or what to do to solve it - I've tried the TV via WIFI and via ethernet.

Solution
If you see worse internet connection in any form incl. bad ping after more people are doing more activities iusing internet e.g. streaming on smarttv, there are 2 possible causes:
  1. Your bandwidth is too small for what you are doing on the provider side e.g. too small bandwidth contract, provider is limiting you in secret regardless of your contract, etc.
  2. Your bandwidth is too small for what you are doing on the your side e.g. slow router, slow ethernet switch, slow modem, bad wlan connection, etc.
I had similar problem using my old DLink DIR-645. It seems that it was degrading after about 6 years 24/7 usage and I have also more and more devices. I just replaced my router with 2x ASUS RT-AC86U. All of those problems...
Just as the title shows, basically living with my family and there's a smart tv in the house which is causing issues when playing games, (ping), it seems to be spiking up and down, does anyone know why this might be the case or what to do to solve it - I've tried the TV via WIFI and via ethernet.

I'm not sure I understand the issue...? Are you saying you are playing a game and someone else is using the TV and you are getting ping problems? What is the other person doing with the TV, just watching standard TV or are they using the built in apps (e.g. Netflix, YouTube etc)?

If you see worse internet connection in any form incl. bad ping after more people are doing more activities iusing internet e.g. streaming on smarttv, there are 2 possible causes:
  1. Your bandwidth is too small for what you are doing on the provider side e.g. too small bandwidth contract, provider is limiting you in secret regardless of your contract, etc.
  2. Your bandwidth is too small for what you are doing on the your side e.g. slow router, slow ethernet switch, slow modem, bad wlan connection, etc.
I had similar problem using my old DLink DIR-645. It seems that it was degrading after about 6 years 24/7 usage and I have also more and more devices. I just replaced my router with 2x ASUS RT-AC86U. All of those problems just disappeared!
Note: -My contract with the provider remains.

The key here is to tell which one is the issue..form there...try to figure out the solution.

Last edited:
Solution
Is very simple.

Your way to the Internet is a limited bandwidth highway, and you are sharing the road with other people in the house, the more people on the road, the more overall speed drops and some braking maybe required.

That's the gist of it. If you want further details you should post some hard numbers such as what bandwidth you are paying for, and whether your gaming rig is on WIFI or hard-wired. What ping numbers are we seeing? No numbers, we are guessing.

Last edited: