[SOLVED] Smart TV gets internet priority

Hang Up

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
When someone watches something online trough our smart tv it gets top internet priority to the point where my pc is only able to pull <1 Mb my router model is Huawei b715 and I've tried everything i could think of to stop this but nothing worked. Is there anything i could do to stop this

Solution
If it's netflix or other apps, look for settings to turn down the quality. If you don't have a lot of bandwidth to begin with, a HD stream of netflix can use 3gb/hr, while a low quality one is 0.3gb/hr. 10x fold in usage.

kanewolf

Titan
Unless someone has explicitly setup prioritization, your network does not know the difference between gaming data from your PC, a YouTube video on a tablet or Netflix on a TV. That TV might be a wired connection vs your WIFI or that TV might be a 5Ghz WIFI connection vs your 2.4Ghz.
The total amount of WAN bandwidth (down AND up) is used on a first come first served basis in-general. So you may just have insufficient bandwidth to your ISP.
It may be possible to prioritize your PC traffic, depending on what QOS capabilities your router has. BUT that only helps with your router, there could be obstacles outside your home network that are limiting your performance.