nem2k

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
when i boot up my computer on the post screen it says that the status of one of my hard drives is "bad"

so i download a diagnostic tool to check to the drive and it says "SMART threshold exceeded"

anyone know what that means and what i should do?

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Backup. Now.

SMART reallocates clusters as needed when some have failed. The percent that have failed have exceeded the limit SMART can tolerate. While you could turn off SMART and get several more months out of the drive, (or none at all), it is a good sign things are going bad.

nem2k

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
well luckily its a new hard drive and has no data on it which requires backing up

but youre saying the drive works now so it technically hasnt failed yet...is that enough to get an RMA? technically its not a faulty drive.

mapex

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2005
around november of last year I had a drive that worked for about a week but then started failing the SMART test, a day later I couldn't open some of my media files on that drive because they were corrupt. RMA'd it with a note about how it failed the SMART test and they sent me a new one without a problem.

nem2k

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
is this something that happens randomly with all drives? or was it something that i did/could have done to prevent it happening?

and are there certain hdd makers that has this problem more than others?

AlaskaFox

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Bad just happens. every product has its bad supplies, and you probably were unlucky enough to get the bad one. only HD's that I have had continuous problems with were the Maxtors. avoid em like the plague! otherwise RMA it and you should have no problem. ;)

nem2k

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
well, ugh, this is frustrating

so earlier today the HD had failed the smart test. now i just restart and computer and status is ok, i run the disk diag program from samsung and the smart test passes

so...what do I do? i was all up for RMAing the thing because smart had failed, but now its reporting to be ok, but there must be something wrong with it if it failed earlier

AlaskaFox

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
from the command prompt, run a chkdsk /r . if it does have bad sectors and it is a fairly new drive, still return it. :twisted:

nem2k

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
just ran chkdsk, and it said 0kb of bad sectors...so i assume everythings ok? :? wonder why smart failed in the first place