SMARTGART stays off

I recently installed a new motherboard and CPU and after doing a
format/fresh install of XP and Cat 4.2 drivers I noticed the SMARTGART is
set to off. I tried turning it on and after rebooting it was set to off
again.

On my old motherboard SMARTGART worked fine so I'm guessing it doesn't like
my current mobo for some reason.

Current mobo: Abit IC7 Max

Is SMARTGART necessary in the first place? My system and games seem to run
just fine even though it's off. Is there a performance gain with it turned
on?

Slug

On Sat, 1 May 2004 09:51:25 -0700, "bioderm" <4xxc988@fish.com> wrote:

>I recently installed a new motherboard and CPU and after doing a
>format/fresh install of XP and Cat 4.2 drivers I noticed the SMARTGART is
>set to off. I tried turning it on and after rebooting it was set to off
>again.
>
>On my old motherboard SMARTGART worked fine so I'm guessing it doesn't like
>my current mobo for some reason.
>
>Current mobo: Abit IC7 Max
>
>Is SMARTGART necessary in the first place? My system and games seem to run
>just fine even though it's off. Is there a performance gain with it turned
>on?

I have an IC7 and Smartgart is on. Better look elsewhere for the
solution. Run "dxdiag" and tell me if it shows AGP acceleration on or
not. Did you set your agp aperature to 64mb or higher in the bios? Did
you set it to initialize agp card first in the bios?

Locutus

you need to install smartgart with the chipset drivers

"Slug" <no@email.here> wrote in message
> On Sat, 1 May 2004 09:51:25 -0700, "bioderm" <4xxc988@fish.com> wrote:
>
> >I recently installed a new motherboard and CPU and after doing a
> >format/fresh install of XP and Cat 4.2 drivers I noticed the SMARTGART is
> >set to off. I tried turning it on and after rebooting it was set to off
> >again.
> >
> >On my old motherboard SMARTGART worked fine so I'm guessing it doesn't
like
> >my current mobo for some reason.
> >
> >Current mobo: Abit IC7 Max
> >
> >Is SMARTGART necessary in the first place? My system and games seem to
run
> >just fine even though it's off. Is there a performance gain with it
turned
> >on?
> >

> I have an IC7 and Smartgart is on. Better look elsewhere for the
> solution. Run "dxdiag" and tell me if it shows AGP acceleration on or
> not. Did you set your agp aperature to 64mb or higher in the bios? Did
> you set it to initialize agp card first in the bios?

I got it fixed by installing my chipset drivers which is something I forgot
to do when finished installing WinXP.

clint

If you have an Intel motherboard, try getting the latest Intel Accelerator
drivers for your system. Seems to me I had to do that when I did my last
install. According to the 3dMark 2001 I ran before and after, there WAS a
difference in performance. And one game in particular (Need For Speed)
would get quite choppy in places without the driver. With them, it ran
fine.

Clint

"bioderm" <4xxc988@fish.com> wrote in message
> I recently installed a new motherboard and CPU and after doing a
> format/fresh install of XP and Cat 4.2 drivers I noticed the SMARTGART is
> set to off. I tried turning it on and after rebooting it was set to off
> again.
>
> On my old motherboard SMARTGART worked fine so I'm guessing it doesn't
like
> my current mobo for some reason.
>
> Current mobo: Abit IC7 Max
>
> Is SMARTGART necessary in the first place? My system and games seem to
run
> just fine even though it's off. Is there a performance gain with it
turned
> on?

"Clint" wrote
> If you have an Intel motherboard, try getting the latest Intel Accelerator
> drivers for your system. Seems to me I had to do that when I did my last
> install. According to the 3dMark 2001 I ran before and after, there WAS a
> difference in performance. And one game in particular (Need For Speed)
> would get quite choppy in places without the driver. With them, it ran
> fine.

Hi,
I don't think IAA has anything to do with graphics. It's meant to *enhance*
the Hard-disk performance on Intel chipsets.
--
Wayne ][

Slug

On Sat, 1 May 2004 19:16:38 +0100, "Wayne Youngman"
<waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi,
>I don't think IAA has anything to do with graphics. It's meant to *enhance*
>the Hard-disk performance on Intel chipsets.

Correct, but maybe the OP forgot to install the chipset drivers for
i875 mb's which installs drivers for agp to pci bridge. First thing
one must do after installing the OS is install the chipset drivers.

clint

Well, it may not be IAA, but it may have something to do with the Intel
chipset drivers.
http://www.videocard-forum.com/ati/AGP_Speed_172513.html
http://www.ocforums.com/archive/thread/273172-1.html

Sorry to be misleading.