smashed inside screen of Acer computer.

chelseajoyce_

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
So, i had my revlon mirror stood on the desk infront of the acer computer when i knocked the desk and the computer landed on the mirror face down, the plug had came out so the computer wouldnt turn n, but once the engine started again there was a huge crack on the inside of the screen at the very top causing two lines to cover most of the background. 1 going straight down the screen, and the other crossing diagonally at the top. When i leave the computer running without typing anything it flashes white from time to time. I was just wandering if you could maybe give me an estimate price of how much it would cost to be repaired by a professional?

g-unit1111

Titan
Is this a laptop or an all in one? Either way it's not going to be cheap to repair it, you're probably looking at minimum $150 - $200 to fix the screen and if there's any damage underneath (cracked bezel, etc) you may be looking at more than that. If you can take a picture of your LCD and post it that would help us to better assess the damage. If it's a desktop and you just damaged the monitor you'd probably be better off just buying a new monitor.

chelseajoyce_

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
If you're sure it's just the panel - as in, you didn't damage anything with the laptop itself - it's not that difficult to replace yourself and save some money. I've bought and used screens from this site in the past:

https://www.laptopscreen.com/

Don't know how much a "professional" would charge, as I've done it myself the few times it was needed, but price will greatly vary based on model of laptop, size of screen, glossy vs matte, etc.

chelseajoyce_

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
Its an all in one, $200, ohh my god, why so much to get a screen repaired? is there any possible way you could do it yourself? hmpp sounds silly but I do not have that much money lying around?

g-unit1111

Titan

That's just a ball park estimate. I recently broke the screen on my phone and had to get my phone fixed and after calling several places that was the general estimate I got for fixing my phone. You're generally looking at about $125 for the screen, $25 for additional parts, and $50 for labor. You should try contacting local repair shops in your area to get an exact estimate. Like I said if you can post a picture of the damage that would help significantly.

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

See my post above. You can buy a panel and replace it fairly easily, but it's not always that much of a savings.

g-unit1111

Titan

The OP's screen though is for an all in one PC not a laptop. I'm sure the repair methods are the same but the LCDs are drastically different.

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

You are absolutely correct - it was my misunderstanding on terminology. I thought they meant "all in one" as in, laptop where they can't just use a different monitor. I'd forgotten all about actual all-in-one PCs completely. Sorry about that.

g-unit1111

Titan

No problem. All in one PCs are basically glorified laptops and use the same hardware as their laptop counterparts, even the 27" iMac uses mobile CPUs and GPUs. I have never repaired one of these but I'm sure it's not that much different than repairing a laptop.

All-in-one screen may be quite a bit pricier than a laptop screen if it's a large panel. From the sound of things I doubt that you'll be able to replace the screen yourself. You can check ebay or the vendor (vendor is likely a lot more expensive) for a screen replacement, do a web search to see if there is a guide for replacing the screen on your model.