News SMIC Mass Produces 14nm Nodes, Advances To 5nm, 7nm

Geef

Distinguished
China is well documented at lying about their advancements. Not really their advancements since the IP is stolen and given to Chinese companies who China says has 5nm.

Right...

Reactions: jasonf2

RedBear87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
Its times to wean off from US. Might not seem much but at least an effort. I from dropbox>koofr, google map>here map. Making an effort to avoid stuff whether food or products with label "made in america" or "made in usa"
It's not really a matter of choice for the Chinese and others at this point, since America started weaponising intellectual properties, they're really left with little alternatives. For a private company not having to reinvent the wheel, so to speak, would be better, even if it meant using US technologies/products (plenty of Chinese smartphone makers use Qualcomm chips, for instance). The hilarious thing is that it's actually working against American companies as well, because the rest of the world doesn't care about the US attempt at destroying the Chinese semiconductor industry and keeps engaging with Chinese companies in defining new standard, recently they had to ease the sanctions against Huawei because of that.

jasonf2

Distinguished
It's not really a matter of choice for the Chinese and others at this point, since America started weaponising intellectual properties, they're really left with little alternatives. For a private company not having to reinvent the wheel, so to speak, would be better, even if it meant using US technologies/products (plenty of Chinese smartphone makers use Qualcomm chips, for instance). The hilarious thing is that it's actually working against American companies as well, because the rest of the world doesn't care about the US attempt at destroying the Chinese semiconductor industry and keeps engaging with Chinese companies in defining new standard, recently they had to ease the sanctions against Huawei because of that.
Quite frankly I don't see any of it as weaponization. China's long track record of human rights violations, currency manipulation, ignoring international patent laws, noncompetitive trade practices, current situation with Taiwan, military expansionism and an ideology that is in conflict with the western world leaves it in the position it is in today. That is just to name a few. The globalization of western supply chains and the willing blind eye of the corporate world has led us here. The costs of doing business with a government that literally is building itself up to take over the world in order to exploit the cheapest possible price and greatest profit were never factored in, though they should have been, as they should be now. China, in contrast with what they would like you to believe, is not an open market to the west, but a systematically controlled mechanism that creates a playing field where the government controls everything and lets just enough in to feign participation.

RedBear87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
Quite frankly I don't see any of it as weaponization. China's long track record of human rights violations, currency manipulation, ignoring international patent laws, noncompetitive trade practices, current situation with Taiwan, military expansionism and an ideology that is in conflict with the western world leaves it in the position it is in today. That is just to name a few. The globalization of western supply chains and the willing blind eye of the corporate world has led us here. The costs of doing business with a government that literally is building itself up to take over the world in order to exploit the cheapest possible price and greatest profit were never factored in, though they should have been, as they should be now. China, in contrast with what they would like you to believe, is not an open market to the west, but a systematically controlled mechanism that creates a playing field where the government controls everything and lets just enough in to feign participation.
Quite honestly, no matter your rationalisation and justifications, the approach taken by the US amounts to weaponisation of intellectual properties. It's not like the US didn't take over the world in different ways before, I don't see how America is in any position to criticise them for trying to do the same. If America wants war they'd better get prepared for that, you should know about Thucydides trap and all that stuff.

jasonf2

Distinguished
I think Churchill put it best. "We have not journeyed all this way across the centuries, across the oceans, across the mountains, across the prairies, because we are made of sugar candy." Given the choice between the US and China I pick the US every time. Not because our democratic republic isn't messy and inefficient, but because it is. The ideals of human rights are the product of centuries of tyranny by governments who were not held accountable by their populations. That is until they were, often with deadly results.

As this is a technical support forum I will be ending this conversation at this point. Best of luck to you in your quest to bash the US.

Reactions: sundragon

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Quite honestly, no matter your rationalisation and justifications, the approach taken by the US amounts to weaponisation of intellectual properties. It's not like the US didn't take over the world in different ways before, I don't see how America is in any position to criticise them for trying to do the same. If America wants war they'd better get prepared for that, you should know about Thucydides trap and all that stuff.
" weaponisation of intellectual properties" which translates to protecting intellectual property... You know when a country (China) has spent zero money on R&D but wants to take advantage of other's work... We understand you clearly. What I find interesting is the brazenness of saying this is some kind of cultural war. 5000 years of Chinese technological advancement and contribution to the planet and less than 60 years of the cultural revolution has turned that incredible achievement on it's ear. It has nothing to do with cultural war and everything to do with profiteering at any cost.... Boop

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
US always justifies its war monger action by claiming the problem is with competitors when it is US itself that have other sneaky intention, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan and if not mistaken previously europe also
As an Iranian, I am interested to hear what "sneaky intention" you're alluding to in reference to Iraq, Iran, Pakisan, and Europe... ;)

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
I think Churchill put it best. "We have not journeyed all this way across the centuries, across the oceans, across the mountains, across the prairies, because we are made of sugar candy." Given the choice between the US and China I pick the US every time. Not because our democratic republic isn't messy and inefficient, but because it is. The ideals of human rights are the product of centuries of tyranny by governments who were not held accountable by their populations. That is until they were, often with deadly results.

As this is a technical support forum I will be ending this conversation at this point. Best of luck to you in your quest to bash the US.
As an Iranian living in the US after fleeing Iran, I love hearing people mention Iran like they intrinsically understand that geopolitical region... Shilling China's intentions is a bonus :ROFLMAO:I appreciate your comment even though it may have fallen to deaf ears.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
US always justifies its war monger action by claiming the problem is with competitors when it is US itself that have other sneaky intention, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan and if not mistaken previously europe also

Wait wait wait wait. . . are you saying the USA was only "claiming" the problem was the Nazis? Really? Really?

TRENDING THREADS