Smiter Q's and clarifications

briank

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2004

**************************************

Thanks for (re)posting that guide Ash.

Few questions still... PvM, don't know if I have the cojones for high level
dueling in HC... and I don't have a stash of duped runes for most of the new
runewords.

Skills:

Fanaticism is just for attack speed and merc, no auras increase damage for
Smite. (?)

Smite has no synergies. (?)

Damage only depends on type of shield and skill level in Smite (and a few
runewords/uniques that have damage +x modifier), while attack speed is based
on weapon speed and IAS modifiers anywhere. (?)

Sacrifice is just for synergy with Zeal, and Charge a standalone skill. (?)

Equipment:

+ x% damage (like on Lionheart/Fortitide) does NOT work with Smite. (?)

Merc:

BA for low AR with Zeal, HF to slow everybody down, Might for Merc and Zeal.
Defiance for Defense... maybe an A1 or A5 merc?

Thanks for the help,
BrianK

BrianK schrieb:
> **************************************
>
> Thanks for (re)posting that guide Ash.
>
> Few questions still... PvM, don't know if I have the cojones for high level
> dueling in HC... and I don't have a stash of duped runes for most of the new
> runewords.
>
> Skills:
>
> Fanaticism is just for attack speed and merc, no auras increase damage for
> Smite. (?)

No. Fana adds to Smite.

Example:
Elite pala shield: 46 avg dmg.
Lvl 24 Holy Shield: +73-76 dmg
Average Grief: +370 dmg
Sum base avg dmg: 490,5

Lvl 22 Fanaticism: 407 %ed
Lvl 24 Smite: 360 %ed

-> 4250 avg Smite damage! (3200 of that comes from Grief)

Note that the char screen will not display the addition from Grief.

> Smite has no synergies. (?)

Well Holy Shield did increase Smite damage ever since. But that was long
before the term 'Synergy' was invented :).

> Damage only depends on type of shield and skill level in Smite (and a few
> runewords/uniques that have damage +x modifier), while attack speed is based
> on weapon speed and IAS modifiers anywhere. (?)

You need an elite Paladin shield. All have the same Smite average
damage. An upgraded Herald of Zakarum is probably the best option.

As mentioned above, max Fanaticism and Holy Shield is required.

> Sacrifice is just for synergy with Zeal, and Charge a standalone skill. (?)

Zeal is helpfull if you have to fight hordes of monsters with low live,
like Flayers and such. Just because you don't have to target every
single critter. And yes, Sacrifice is only a synergy.

For a Smiter, Charge is only usefull in PvP. The only use in PvM I can
think of is that you can travel long distances at high speed.

> Equipment:
>
> + x% damage (like on Lionheart/Fortitide) does NOT work with Smite. (?)

Correct.

> Merc:
>
> BA for low AR with Zeal, HF to slow everybody down, Might for Merc and Zeal.
> Defiance for Defense... maybe an A1 or A5 merc?

A2 guys are probably most effective. However, I like to have a Rogue
merc on the side of my Fanatic Paladins. Make a Harmony bow or even an
Edge bow, give her an Armor and a Helmet filled with up to 7 max or min
damage Jewels. Boosted by lvl 24 Fana, the displayed damage of my Rogue
goes up to 665-2562 (@11 fpa) with an Harmony Shadow bow. And she helps
out against PIs too.

---
Hannes

Sonni Skammelsen wrote:
> Then maybe you can help me by explain this.
> My smiter has completed the first quest in act 4 normal, the one
where you
> have to kill Izual.
> The character screen shows the same damage for both my normal attack
and
> smite.
> I use rusthandle which have +damage like redeemer and greif.
> I am unable to damage Izual with smite, but with normal attack i can
kill
> him, slowly, but still able to do it.
> I even tried killing him two times, and with same result.
> Is Izual immune to smite?
> And are other monsters immune to smite like him?
>
> --

The discriptions of DII mods can be misleading. The +3-7 damage on
Rusthandle is +3 to Min Damage and +7 to Max Damage. +Min/+Max damage
mods don't work with Smite. The +Damage modifier on the Redeemer and
Astreon's Iron Ward, which works with Smite, is a plain "+Damage" mod
which is very rare, indeed.

Also, apart from item mods, Smite damage comes from the damage listed
on the shield (not the weapon), plus your Smite and Holy Shield skill
enhancements, as well as any auras you and your party have. So, let's
say, you are using a Steelclash (smite damage 2-5), with slvl 1 Smite
and slvl 1 Holy Shield (no aura), you will be doing (2+3)*115% to
(5+6)*115% = 5.75 to 12.65 damage per hit. Since the base smite damage
on the shield is so low, any ED mods on your gears aren't going to help
much. Without Crushing Blow, you're not going to kill the tiniest
critter in Act4 (cuz they all regenerate). Go grab a pair of Goblin
Toe before you use Smite against any big monster.

OTOH, if you use a white/gray exceptional pally shield with no ED mod,
such as Akaran Rondache (smite damage 15-20, rlvl 30), with maxed Smite
and slvl 10 Holy Shield (achievable at clvl 33), then your Smite damage
(w/o aura) will be (15+23)*4 to (20+26)*4 = 152 to 184, pretty good
anywhere in Normal difficulty. Add slvl 4 Fanaticism on, and the
damage will go up to 304-368 with 23% extra IAS. If you have Crushing
Blow equipment, such as Goblin Toe, Black flail, Bing's Baseball Bat,
then Baal probably won't have the chance to finish his welcoming speech
before he bites the dust.

Smite doesn't offer a damage comparable to most other Combat skills,
not even close. A zealot using highend runewords can dish out 4k+ max
damage per swing; a WF wielding zon can dish out 2-3k Strafe; a
BOTD/Oath barb can deal 3-4k+ damage per hit. You will be happy if
your Smiter can do 1.5k damage per hit. What's great with Smite is
that it bypasses the AR/To-Hit check and always hits (IIRC GA is the
only other always hit physical combat skill), and it hits very fast (6
fps max, second only to the fastest zealot/fireclaw bear). The very
fast attack, when combined with high level of Crushing Blows, can drain
enormous life off a huge life boss in a very short period of time,
which very few, if any at all, other skills can achieve. A Smiter is
probably the only lvl 50 char who can deal with D.Clone (I have yet to
do this, but my lvl 45 Smiter killed Hell Diablo in a multiple player
game before the slvl 5 Life Tap charge expired.)

Bing

Hi Bing and Hannes, Quick question... I see from your calcs that the ED
bonus from Fana is added after the ED bonus from Smite. Multiplicative
and not additive. So about x12 and not x8 for lvl 20 smite and lvl 20
HS.

Is that right? just wanted to clarify.

chaliban wrote:
> Hi Bing and Hannes, Quick question... I see from your calcs that the ED
> bonus from Fana is added after the ED bonus from Smite. Multiplicative
> and not additive. So about x12 and not x8 for lvl 20 smite and lvl 20
> HS.
>
> Is that right? just wanted to clarify.

Apparently my mistake in calculation. I'm a better bs'er than a
scientist ^_^

Bing

Bingain wrote:
> Sonni Skammelsen wrote:
>
>>Then maybe you can help me by explain this.
>>My smiter has completed the first quest in act 4 normal, the one
>
> where you
>
>>have to kill Izual.
>>The character screen shows the same damage for both my normal attack
>
> and
>
>>smite.
>>I use rusthandle which have +damage like redeemer and greif.
>>I am unable to damage Izual with smite, but with normal attack i can
>
> kill
>
>>him, slowly, but still able to do it.
>>I even tried killing him two times, and with same result.
>>Is Izual immune to smite?
>>And are other monsters immune to smite like him?
>>
>>--
>

> The discriptions of DII mods can be misleading. The +3-7 damage on
> Rusthandle is +3 to Min Damage and +7 to Max Damage. +Min/+Max damage
> mods don't work with Smite. The +Damage modifier on the Redeemer and
> Astreon's Iron Ward, which works with Smite, is a plain "+Damage" mod
> which is very rare, indeed.

Ok, then there is no way to walk around with that anymore.....

> Also, apart from item mods, Smite damage comes from the damage listed
> on the shield (not the weapon), plus your Smite and Holy Shield skill
> enhancements, as well as any auras you and your party have. So, let's
> say, you are using a Steelclash (smite damage 2-5), with slvl 1 Smite
> and slvl 1 Holy Shield (no aura), you will be doing (2+3)*115% to
> (5+6)*115% = 5.75 to 12.65 damage per hit. Since the base smite damage
> on the shield is so low, any ED mods on your gears aren't going to help
> much. Without Crushing Blow, you're not going to kill the tiniest
> critter in Act4 (cuz they all regenerate). Go grab a pair of Goblin
> Toe before you use Smite against any big monster.
>
> OTOH, if you use a white/gray exceptional pally shield with no ED mod,
> such as Akaran Rondache (smite damage 15-20, rlvl 30), with maxed Smite
> and slvl 10 Holy Shield (achievable at clvl 33), then your Smite damage
> (w/o aura) will be (15+23)*4 to (20+26)*4 = 152 to 184, pretty good
> anywhere in Normal difficulty. Add slvl 4 Fanaticism on, and the
> damage will go up to 304-368 with 23% extra IAS. If you have Crushing
> Blow equipment, such as Goblin Toe, Black flail, Bing's Baseball Bat,
> then Baal probably won't have the chance to finish his welcoming speech
> before he bites the dust.
>
> Smite doesn't offer a damage comparable to most other Combat skills,
> not even close. A zealot using highend runewords can dish out 4k+ max
> damage per swing; a WF wielding zon can dish out 2-3k Strafe; a
> BOTD/Oath barb can deal 3-4k+ damage per hit. You will be happy if
> your Smiter can do 1.5k damage per hit. What's great with Smite is
> that it bypasses the AR/To-Hit check and always hits (IIRC GA is the
> only other always hit physical combat skill), and it hits very fast (6
> fps max, second only to the fastest zealot/fireclaw bear). The very
> fast attack, when combined with high level of Crushing Blows, can drain
> enormous life off a huge life boss in a very short period of time,
> which very few, if any at all, other skills can achieve. A Smiter is
> probably the only lvl 50 char who can deal with D.Clone (I have yet to
> do this, but my lvl 45 Smiter killed Hell Diablo in a multiple player
> game before the slvl 5 Life Tap charge expired.)

Well this is all nice, but.....
Normal attack shows, 44 - 104 damage
smite shows 126 - 180, thats with level 21 smite, and level 7 holy
shield, the holy sheild was only level 5 when i played with Izzu.
So all you say still don't explain why smite didn't damage him, but a
normal attack with what seems to be lower damage do.

--
Sonni
-=-=-

Sonni Skammelsen wrote:

> Well this is all nice, but.....
> Normal attack shows, 44 - 104 damage
> smite shows 126 - 180, thats with level 21 smite, and level 7 holy
> shield, the holy sheild was only level 5 when i played with Izzu.
> So all you say still don't explain why smite didn't damage him, but a
> normal attack with what seems to be lower damage do.

Did you see the smite animation when you smited Izzy? The smite
animation is very unique, not like those of any of his other
combat skills.

Smite can be assigned to either left or right mouse click. I
did a test. It worked fine with left mouse click, but apparently
is bugged and didn't work with right mouse click. When I had
it on right mouse click, all the smiter did was to try casting
Hammer or whatever spell instead of using the shield to hit the
critters.

I never noticed this before as it's natural to smite from left
click while having aura on the right.

Bing

Bingain wrote:
> Sonni Skammelsen wrote:
>

>> Well this is all nice, but.....
>> Normal attack shows, 44 - 104 damage
>> smite shows 126 - 180, thats with level 21 smite, and level 7 holy
>> shield, the holy sheild was only level 5 when i played with Izzu.
>> So all you say still don't explain why smite didn't damage him, but a
>> normal attack with what seems to be lower damage do.
>>

> Did you see the smite animation when you smited Izzy? The smite
> animation is very unique, not like those of any of his other
> combat skills.

Yes he was bashing with the shield.

> Smite can be assigned to either left or right mouse click. I
> did a test. It worked fine with left mouse click, but apparently
> is bugged and didn't work with right mouse click. When I had
> it on right mouse click, all the smiter did was to try casting
> Hammer or whatever spell instead of using the shield to hit the
> critters.

I had smite on left and at that time concentration aura on left, now
i've become 30+ so now it's fanaticm on right.

> I never noticed this before as it's natural to smite from left
> click while having aura on the right.

Wouldn't do it any other way myself

--
Sonni

-=-=-
In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.