Smitfraud.c generic and svchost.exe

surlesc

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
About 2 weeks ago i ran a scan with spybot and came up with a smitfraud.c generic. I also saw that i have multiple processes of svchost.exe. I,ve tried malwarebytes, superantispyware, and spybot and they all find some sort of problem but it just ends up coming back. I tried to run smitfraud fix but everytime i run a search the window disappears. If anyone has any solution to this problem please let me know. Thank you

surlesc

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
I have run them all in safe mode but the smitfraud.c generic is still there after i reboot my computer. I was thinking about reformatting but i don think my laptop ever came with an operating system disk. The only disk i received was a driver disk. Would there be anyway to reformat my system without that disk. My laptop is a dell by the way if that is important.

v1zzle

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
Most vendors now don't offer much, sometimes a 'recovery cd' but that won't solve the underlying problem, but just cover it up temporarily. Like Daship said, you're best to reformat and start fresh. Make sure you back up important stuff. You can probably try and connect your laptop hard drive into another pc, then try and clean out the malware, sometimes that can work. But if all fails, start fresh

You can ask Dell for a replacement copy of the system restore disk. All they will need is the laptop's model and probably serial number.
Reformatting does NOT remove some malware; it only goes away after low-level formatting. Keep that in mind when deciding to go that route.

surlesc

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Thank you all for your advice and ill see about trying to reformat my system, but is there any way to get rid of thi smitfraud virus without having to do so. Like I said earlier on the post, I have run malwarebytes, superantispyware, and spybot all in safemode and they remove it but its comes back right when it is removed. I also tried smitfraudfix but the window for it would just close everytime i ran a search. Any suggestions on what i can do would be very helpful as i would rather not reformat. Again thank you for all your replys.

TRENDING THREADS