Smoke and fire from desktop but still working

iamanatertot

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016
My computer is a bit over 4 years old now. I built it back in 2012, and have since replaced a few minor parts (new SSD and CPU heat sink). I haven't opened it up for a while now.

Today, while using it, I heard a noise coming from the case. Looked over, saw smoke coming out. Immediately looked inside the grating and saw a small flame. Immediately shut down the computer, unplugged the power supply, and blew out the flame. The computer was functioning completely fine, besides the smoke and fire.

Here's the thing though, the computer still works. I tried turning it back on, and it all works perfectly. I only turned it on for a little bit, then turned it back off.

The flame was not near the power supply or the graphics card. The closest non-motherboard component was the CPU, but it didn't look like the flame was coming from the CPU. It looked like the flame was coming from the fan, but it could also have been part of the motherboard. None of the capacitors look burnt or broken. In fact, I can't even tell where the flame was, because there is no visual evidence that I can see.

Based on what I've read online, its probably dust or the fan, in which case I should lower the fan settings in the BIOS right? I wanted to make my own post so I know exactly what's going on.

On a side note, I wasn't doing anything computationally stressful with the computer when the fire broke out, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
i would check all the fans and cable there could be a short in the motor or in the cables that light up on something so carefully check all parts before it it too late for the system .