[SOLVED] Smokes comes out from laptop after swapping storage drive

Apr 6, 2021
Hello. I have a Dell Inspiron 17 7737. I changed the HDD to am SSD. I turned the laptop on and everything went smooth. I started installing windows on the new ssd when suddenly the laptop turned off and smoke came out from the bottom. Tried turning on without battery same thing. Went ahead and opened the laptop apart and found the following:

https://streamable.com/50gp7n

Whenever I try to turn it on now it does this.

I am kinda sure the laptop is garbage now. However, do you guys think this was caused by the SSD? It's a brand new WD SSD. And if anyone knows if any solution I'd be grateful, thanks!

Solution
Hi Krh1987.

Hard to know what is that smoking section. I couldn't possibly tell you what is happening but something wrong happened.

You replaced a 2.5" HDD to a 2.5" SSD and you plugged the new SSD correctly?

Unless you did something wrong I don't know why this would happen. A new SSD isn't supposed to do that unless the cable used was bad or something.

Since I have no idea what smoked I will assume that laptop won't boot anymore and would need repair. If that can be fixed.
Hi Krh1987.

Hard to know what is that smoking section. I couldn't possibly tell you what is happening but something wrong happened.

Unless you did something wrong I don't know why this would happen. A new SSD isn't supposed to do that unless the cable used was bad or something.

Since I have no idea what smoked I will assume that laptop won't boot anymore and would need repair. If that can be fixed.

Solution
Apr 6, 2021
Hi Krh1987.

Hello

Here's an image of where the smokes coming out from: https://ibb.co/gy5sbBm

And yes i switched the 2.5" for a 2.5"

I even started installing windows on it and boom this happened.

I wish I could help you further. Don't know enough about laptop to even begin to tell you what burned.

The entire mainboard will probably have to be replaced if that laptop isn't booting anymore.

As to the why it happened that's a good question.

Apr 6, 2021
I wish I could help you further. Don't know enough about laptop to even begin to tell you what burned.

The entire mainboard will probably have to be replaced if that laptop isn't booting anymore.

As to the why it happened that's a good question.

Alright. Thank you for your reply!