Smoking Graphics Card

BradicusRex

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017
Okay so this is going to be a bit of a long story, but I really need some advice as to the state of my motherboard and/or PSU.

So I purchased a EVGA GTX 970 back in March of 2016 and ran the card up until a couple of weeks ago when I encountered an unexpected issue: I temporarily left my PC to get a drink and came back to my PC off. I attempted to turn the PC on and nothing would happen. After a few passes of trying to turn the machine on, I started to believe that maybe my PSU (Seasonic M12II 850) kicked the bucket. Thinking that was the only issue, I installed a spare that I had at the time (Rosewill 650w), had all cables connected up, and attempted to boot the PC. The PC acts like it is about to boot and then immediately my graphics card clicks and then starts churning out white smoke. Dead and done, right? Yeah...bummer.

Anyway, so I take out the graphics card and the PC boots up into Windows normally using the integrated graphics and seems like it's running fine. I assume my entire issue was with the graphics card so I remove the spare power supply and decide to see if my Seasonic still worked properly. I first connected it to a power supply tester, and got the following readings:

http://i.imgur.com/MILq2Vj.jpg

That seemed to come out fine I suppose (not an expert), so I decide to reinstall it and power the system on, again using the integrated graphics. Windows boots properly and everything seems to be running fine. I even prime95'd the system for a time to make sure it didn't crap out along the way.

Okay, great, right? Seems it was just the card, but I was still worried about the PCI slot and maybe the two graphics card 8 pin connectors on the PSU (I can never remember the name). So I took my EVGA GTX 770 that I originally replaced with the 970 and slotted it into the system (same PCI slot), connecting all cables with the PC off, of course. I booted the PC and everything came up fine. That said, the GTX 970 used all 16 pins of the PSU graphics card cable whereas the GTX 770 only uses 14 so maybe 2 of those could be bad?? I don't know but, the graphics card has been in the system ever since and has been how I continue to play my games to this day (albeit on lower settings). I haven't had any issues with the system as is right now.

Long story out of the way, I'm looking at getting a new GTX 970 back, assuming the last being bad or having some sort of short, and I don't want this to happen again.

Do you think there could have been any damage done to the motherboard when the card fizzled out?

Do you think perhaps the PSU could be at fault, even though it runs perfectly fine with my 770?

System Information:
Processor: Intel Core i5 4670k NOT Overclocked
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer
RAM: 16GB DDR3
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 850 SS-850AM 850W
Video Card: EVGA GTX 770

Any help is very much appreciated as this was my first buildout!

Thank you!

Pentium4User

Honorable
Jun 17, 2016
Hello There. Now there shouldn't be any damage to the motherboard unless it melted the pci-e 16x slot and if the board was damage then the 770 would of not worked. Now the power supply look at the pins if there is no defect like it got hot then I'm pretty sure it fine because if the psu crapped out it would of trip the fuse and killed the 770 when you put it in the computer because I think they are on the same volt rail and if you really don't trust it you can get sata to gpu 8-6 pin adapter or just get a new one. I think it was just bad luck with the gtx 970.

BradicusRex

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017

Thank you very much for your response! The pci-e slot doesn't appear to be damaged in anyway.

I've uploaded a photo of the pci-e slot I took this morning of it here:
http://i.imgur.com/2frESL3.jpg (Top Slot)

Here's also a couple of photos of the 8 pin connectors:
http://i.imgur.com/pGlYtW4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Q65UVnn.jpg

I hope I'm just worried over nothing especially considering some of the photos I've seen of melted slots and pins. Just sucks getting a faulty graphics card and the fear of it screwing up other components in my system. I guess that's the game we play, eh?