[SOLVED] Smoking motherboard after installing Cpu cooler

Jul 8, 2019
Someone sold me a Dell Studio XPS motherboard and I really wanted to get the thing running. After installing all my components and turning it on it started making a weird noise and I could smell smoke coming from inside the case. I quickly unplugged my PC and removed the mobo to find that one of the 4 nuts on the back rubbed against the wiring embedded in the mobo. Is there a way to repair it? If so, what would the price be to fix it? The wire is still there but is severed in two.

Solution
Someone sold me a Dell Studio XPS motherboard and I really wanted to get the thing running. After installing all my components and turning it on it started making a weird noise and I could smell smoke coming from inside the case. I quickly unplugged my PC and removed the mobo to find that one of the 4 nuts on the back rubbed against the wiring embedded in the mobo. Is there a way to repair it? If so, what would the price be to fix it? The wire is still there but is severed in two.

By wiring embedded in the motherboard, I'm guessing you're reffering to the circuit traces.
If one of those traces is burned or damaged, than most likely the board is beyond repair.

Can you post some pictures with the inflicted damage?

By wiring embedded in the motherboard, I'm guessing you're reffering to the circuit traces.
If one of those traces is burned or damaged, than most likely the board is beyond repair.

Can you post some pictures with the inflicted damage?

Solution