Smoking Motherboard, did I just ruin it?

tlazaroff

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Ordered new components for a PC build that I was doing. I do this every so often just to stay up-to-date. I ordered the following:
XFX R9 280x graphics card
Gigabyte GA-990FXA Motherboard
8gb memory
AMD FX-8320 CPU
The components I kept are:
Case
750w Thermaltake PSU
HDD x2.

This isn't my first build, so I know what I am doing. I was able to plug all the components in, and when I hit the power switch I saw smoke coming from around the 12-pin Motherboard power connector. I unplugged everything and it's just sitting there now. This is the first time this has happened to me, and now I am afraid to try anything. What should I do? RMA the board? Are the other components to blame? How do I troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance.

undo everything and look for shorts from extra unused standoffs under motherboard. or anything that you may have done wrong. if it smoked for sure, with it out look on both sides of motherboard arond that area for burnt up small parts around that connector or burnt motherboard traces. if you saw smoke something burnt up.

tlazaroff

Distinguished
May 17, 2006

I took a look at the plug quickly and didn't see any sign of damage. I've used this PSU through a few builds, its maybe 2 years old, but has never given me any issues. I am also using a UPS, so I am getting clean power.

because I got no reply I don't know if you read my post. there are 5 silver capacitors and 2 black ics by the 24pin motherboard connector(you don't have a 12pin connector). if a cap went there mabe some smoke marks on the motherboard (if it burnt out though the bottom of one) or visible damage on the sides of one(less likely to burn up that way but it happens). if one of the two ic burn up you wouldn't be able to read any markings(part numbers) on them though they will be hard to read because they are so small. if in doubt upload some close pictures of that area of the motherboard

tlazaroff

Distinguished
May 17, 2006

Today I took everything apart to look for damage, I did find a riser that was not where it was supposed to be, however, it wasn't near the smoke source. There is zero visible damage on the front, back, or sides of the motherboard.. at least none that I can see.

tlazaroff

Distinguished
May 17, 2006

I just bought a Corsair HX750 to replace mine.

tlazaroff

Distinguished
May 17, 2006

I accidentally marked this as the solution. I checked all the capacitors and each one shows no sign of damage, and I can clearly read all the markings.

I sent it in for RMA anyway, just to be on the safe side.