Question Smoking Pc

Apr 13, 2019
Ok so some serious stuff happened when I was installing a new pcu, it even mentioned having 480watts max but then when I turned it on without the pc case on, smoke started coming from the pc so then i thought, oh **! better turn of this pc before it kills me, my previous psu was 250 watts max and plan on getting a gtx 750 ti 2gb, this old 480 watt psu was in my 2003 machine and was from the creator of logisy, any idea why this happend?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DeFoix
Sounds like a poor quality PSU. Get a good quality one this time.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Bigger watts does not mean better psu. Logisys has a seriously bad reputation in psus. Don't count on a 480w Logisys psu actually having 480w, a more reasonable estimate would be 275w max, any more than that will smoke it. It's also almost 16 years old with a 90day warranty.
Low cost psu video
The logisys is in the same range of psu quality.

Apr 13, 2019
Bigger watts does not mean better psu. Logisys has a seriously bad reputation in psus. Don't count on a 480w Logisys psu actually having 480w, a more reasonable estimate would be 275w max, any more than that will smoke it. It's also almost 16 years old with a 90day warranty.
Low cost psu video
The logisys is in the same range of psu quality.
interesting, never thought they had a bad rep, maybe I connected something wrong? im not sure but the pc I was using it on was made in 2007 I believe with nvidia GeForce 6150se graphics which are pretty bad so im assuming I connected something but I wouldn't risk it with a gtx 750 ti 2gb,what would've happened if used it with a gtx 750 ti?

Apr 13, 2019
A 16 year old PSU from Logisys?

Possibilities
  1. You connected something wrong
  2. The extreme crappiness of a Logisys PSU killed itself
  3. All of the above.
interesting, never thought they had a bad rep, maybe I connected something wrong? im not sure but the pc I was using it on was made in 2007 I believe with nvidia GeForce 6150se graphics which are pretty bad so im assuming I connected something but I wouldn't risk it with a gtx 750 ti 2gb,what would've happened if used it with a gtx 750 ti?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What would have happened with a 750ti? Anything is possible. Anything from a simple pop and smoke, like in the video I posted, to a full on house burning down. And yes, that's a real thing when ppl use those sub-standard psus and leave the pc running when they leave the house, cuz they are in the middle of a game etc. Any of those uber cheap lines don't even make ATX standards, they don't have the 3 required necessary protection minimums and voltage output is so 'dirty' it stresses other components downstream and causes premature failures. Because of lack of reliable protective circuitry, when a short does happen (that's the flash) it get passed on to the motherboard, the gpu, everything. Buh bye PC.

If there's one thing in common you'll find on any tech site, either here or Overclockers or Linus or Techpowerup etc it's the emphasis on buying a quality psu. Sacrifice a little game play and lower the gpu if you must, choose a cheaper cooler or case, but always buy a good quality, well built, well (professionally) reviewed psu. Or the chances of failure one day, or loss of pc, even loss of your house starts becoming a verifiable reality.

Apr 13, 2019
What would have happened with a 750ti? Anything is possible. Anything from a simple pop and smoke, like in the video I posted, to a full on house burning down. And yes, that's a real thing when ppl use those sub-standard psus and leave the pc running when they leave the house, cuz they are in the middle of a game etc. Any of those uber cheap lines don't even make ATX standards, they don't have the 3 required necessary protection minimums and voltage output is so 'dirty' it stresses other components downstream and causes premature failures. Because of lack of reliable protective circuitry, when a short does happen (that's the flash) it get passed on to the motherboard, the gpu, everything. Buh bye PC.

If there's one thing in common you'll find on any tech site, either here or Overclockers or Linus or Techpowerup etc it's the emphasis on buying a quality psu. Sacrifice a little game play and lower the gpu if you must, choose a cheaper cooler or case, but always buy a good quality, well built, well (professionally) reviewed psu. Or the chances of failure one day, or loss of pc, even loss of your house starts becoming a verifiable reality.
lol what if it were to power 2 rtx titans

USAFRet

Titan
yea, but what if that psu had the right connecters, would it blow up a house?
If a frog had wings, it wouldn't bump his ass when he jumped.

Would a mythical Logisys, with the proper connectors for 2x Titans actually blow up your house?
No.

Might it blow itself up, shooting sparks out the back, catching the curtains on fire, and leading to a massive fire.
Which compromises the natural gas line to the house, which does blow up, taking 1/2 of the neighborhood with it.
Possibly, yes.

Reactions: kanewolf
Apr 13, 2019
If a frog had wings, it wouldn't bump his ass when he jumped.

Would a mythical Logisys, with the proper connectors for 2x Titans actually blow up your house?
No.

Might it blow itself up, shooting sparks out the back, catching the curtains on fire, and leading to a massive fire.
Which compromises the natural gas line to the house, which does blow up, taking 1/2 of the neighborhood with it.
Possibly, yes.
I know these questions are quite silly but what if a mythical logysis psu could connect to all of the entire worlds power, what would happen to earth?

Apr 13, 2019
Armageddon
wow that would be pretty big tbh,but if I were the one to give the world that idea and turn on the psu to start the armaeddon and most but people died except for me looking at that crappy psu in flames with me just laughing that I started that, how mad would you be at me lol if I did that,for example you just sitting in your house playing something then your house just goes BOOM! how mad would you be at me

Apr 13, 2019
bit off topic arent we?you got a ** psu.youve been given all the advice you need to deal with it.it would appear the balls in your court so to speak.
I know i'm off topic but an
Armageddon
with that psu starting just made me laugh my tears out, I know your just trying to be rude and salty to me but it's just one of those times to get a good laughing question out the way

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No, not trying to be rude, salty or even slightly krusty, but understand, you are just looking/answering/dealing with just this thread. Some ppl (mods and heralds are almost entirely unpaid volunteers) are looking at sometimes 100's of threads, and many can be downright childish, contemptuously stupid or even antagonisticaly rude. To sit and try and decipher your exact mood and play, and to do so with multiple threads can be exhausting, so I do apologize (for all of us....) if it seems an answer is a little on the short tempered side. Sometimes it's so bad that when ppl start in on the 'what ifs..?' it's enough to make me wanna throat punch somebody.

We've answered as best as we can, solid advice. Now it's up to you to take it and run with it, or ignore it, your choice. 😉

Apr 13, 2019
No, not trying to be rude, salty or even slightly krusty, but understand, you are just looking/answering/dealing with just this thread. Some ppl (mods and heralds are almost entirely unpaid volunteers) are looking at sometimes 100's of threads, and many can be downright childish, contemptuously stupid or even antagonisticaly rude. To sit and try and decipher your exact mood and play, and to do so with multiple threads can be exhausting, so I do apologize (for all of us....) if it seems an answer is a little on the short tempered side. Sometimes it's so bad that when ppl start in on the 'what ifs..?' it's enough to make me wanna throat punch somebody.

We've answered as best as we can, solid advice. Now it's up to you to take it and run with it, or ignore it, your choice. 😉
ok then ill move on with it, but can you answer that silly question I asked, when you said an
Armageddon
would happen I simply laughed very hard, just this last question please ill see you tomorrow, try to reply asap lol

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Lol. OK. I get it.

What would happen? If I was dead, I'd haunt you. You just wiped out Playboy TV. If I was alive I'd throat punch you for starting all this, because you just wiped out Playboy TV....

Then I'd thank you. Because I'd never have to listen to Rap music ever again.

Fair enough?

Apr 13, 2019
Lol. OK. I get it.

What would happen? If I was dead, I'd haunt you. You just wiped out Playboy TV. If I was alive I'd throat punch you for starting all this, because you just wiped out Playboy TV....

Then I'd thank you. Because I'd never have to listen to Rap music ever again.

Fair enough?
yea, but boi you are the greatest jokester I've ever seen, ya know you should make people laugh more often, after all this was started by a 14 year old which is me