Smoking

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

peterorl

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Chewing a gum is a good replacement. However how one said before. Try not to take too much snacks cause it might cause you put much on weight and then you would need to face your overweight AND the ciggarets ! :(

BlackQueen

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015

Quit smoking... so easy!!! I did it several times:lol:

Willie0

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015

its also a thing of the mind. determination is the key

garycruise1234

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
just keep it and believe you can do it. think about your health and your family. Find other things to do or buy

other things to eat. Do this with some others and they will help you when you find it's hard to insist.

TurboIan

Commendable
May 25, 2016
For my opinion, if you really want to stop smoking – you can do it.
It’s only a psychological problem.
You need to break a habit smoking when you are nervous or depress. It’s the main reason why I don’t give up smoking.
Maybe some special books or films will help you?

Seankay

Respectable
Jul 20, 2016
Yes it is all in the mind and psychological and everything, but still I would suggest you to get a distraction. Like join the gym and workout everyday (if you don't already). Plus, it is ideal if you can do sports (anyone) so that you will have other better things to do rather than smoking or even craving for it!

Brandon Hobart

Commendable
Nov 16, 2016
If there is a will, there is a way.... First of all, you have to make up your mind to really quit smoking. Secondly, regular smokers cannot quit smoking all at once. Their desire for nicotine can't be treated all of a sudden. You need to take some gums that contain a specific amount of nicotine whenever you have an intense craving to smoke.
At the beginning, you have to take the gum filled with larger amount of nicotine, then you can slowly reduce it by taking gum which has a low ratio of nicotine. This will take a few months and you will totally get rid of smoking by reducing the ratio of nicotine amount in the gum. Cheers! :)

adamscurr

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
Ok... Smoking is a physical addiction and a habit. You have to break both to quit. So the physical stuff is going to suck and you need to let everyone around you know so that A. you will be encouraged by them, and B. you will be accountable to them and stick with it... And C. they don't think you have lost your mind and need counseling. The second part is the habit, you have to break it. You probably have times in your day you smoke and you have become accustomed to them. Stop doing all of them for a while if possible so you can break the habitual smoking. Start some new habits if possible, or at least break out of you routine that included cigarettes...

I hope that helps... Also, If you are a drinker, you will have to stop that for a time as well. Nothing breaks your willpower to stop smoking like a few drinks...

Adam

Karadjgne

Titan
Herald
I quit smoking after I got married. I went back to smoking (and drinking) when I got divorced. So there's that. I will say this. It's the only rule there is to quitting and you'll need the (willpower) to follow it. It quite simple. Do Not Beg, Buy, Borrow or Steal a cigarette. And I guess that'll include e-smokes and cigars too. It's a mantra. Repeat it with every temptation. If you can live up to it, you'll never smoke again.
Good luck.

mariad10

Commendable
Mar 14, 2017
Give a try to these newly introduced VAPES. I was in to smoking and for the past three months of using the vape i have smoke only 5 cigarettes all this time.

Tune42

Prominent
Jun 20, 2017

I quit back in 2011 for several years. Picked it back up in 2015. Quit again just over a month ago after wanting to for the past year. Reading this was a tremendous help. http://prdupl02.ynet.co.il/ForumFiles_2/15119301.pdf

Literally rewired my brain like hypnotism to the point that the last cigarette I smoked made me sick to my stomach. I highly, highly, recommend this book. My 100% honest advice is to set a date, read this book before that date, and then quit. It discusses every single myth you've ever told yourself about why you're continuing to smoke so that once you take the plunge, it's almost like you've called yourself out on all your bs ahead of time. All that's left is a smelly cancer stick giving you ash tray lungs.

When I quit the first time, my mistake was thinking I was giving something up. I firmly believe I'll never smoke a cigarette again now that my frame of mind is different.

Good luck! :D

edit: I highly advise against vaping if you want to actually break the habit. Every person I know to have vaped (a lot of people, myself included, most of my friends), inevitably switch back and forth here and there. It's a terrible quitting mechanism, often times leads to INCREASED nicotine intake, and in my case it ended up being a pacifier that impacted my oral hygiene worse than actual cigarettes did. It was a big surprise to me.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Okay, so here's how I quit smoking.. I read some articles about how memory works and came up with a plan where when I thought of the act of smoking, I distorted that memory, and did it by drinking a lot of alcohol. When I got really drunk, I couldn't remember most things, so I didn't really focus on the feeling of smoking.

I know it's probably not the best way to stop, but I did this for a few months and now I don't crave smoking.. and it's also kind of an upside because I can hold my liquor a lot better now.

Hope this helps.. all the best.

adamscurr

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013

I dunno Calm... Thats seems very like trading one chemical dependence for another...

Adam

svalbaard

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
I decided to quit smoking after going diving. It may sound odd, but water has a way of playing with light and highlighting the unseen. I was about 6m under on a sunny day. I looked at my hands to see a bright yellow halo around them. This was nicotine staining from years of smoking roll-ups, that doesn't look so bad in normal light. I don't think I've ever been so shocked or disgusted at myself in my life.

I went to an e cigarette and the staining was totally gone after 6 months and I've not had a normal cigarette now in about 3 years. Still use the e-cigarette, but am now on 0% nicotine liquid and am reducing use every single month.

It's a hard habit to break though.

Feb 20, 2018

The monkey was on my back from age 12 to 65. I'm now 72. So old cats can learn new tricks. I had "tried" several times to quit. When you say you are going to try, your already admitting defeat. Just do it. I decided that I was not going to take that addiction into my next life. Even though a addict knows the dangers, they aren't thinking for themselves. The monkey is. And that monkey will do anything, anything to be fed. People will say, oh think how much money you'll save. Addicts don't care. All they are concerned with is the next fix. They will pay $10.00 for one cig if they are desperate enough. True you can treat yourself to nice cruise at the end of the year, but I noticed I gained two hours a day free time. People asked, "what do you do with your hands now?" I say, "NOTHIN", I don't have to. Besides nicotine being a nerve irritant, I found that my chronic depression has left. RE-educate yourself with an open mind. One movie to watch is The Insider (Russel Crowe) It help me get pissed off at the tobacco companies. Don't plan on quiting until you want to WANT TO. When your ready, pick a date a month from then and just observe others and yourself being controlled by the monkey. Believe me, you'll be looking forward to the date. Yeah, it'll be tough, but you've probably have been through worse. If not, your over due. Stay home, treat yourself like you have the flu (very similar) and tell your friends you won't be calling them (trigger), they will understand and commend you if they are true friends. Be prepared to lose friends of the monkey, because the monkey rules. You will see how this was true for you in your past. Your loved ones and yourself always came last after the monkey . True fact.
That monkey will tug and plead and paw you with it's last breath. DO NOT FEED HIM! HE IS NOT YOUR FRIEND. For the first year I appeased my lungs for smoke by smoking mulien tea now and then. It helped. One thing you don't do, is let yourself feel deprived. Don't go there. Now when I see addicts huddling in a corner out of the rain, I think to myself, "Thank God I don't have to do that anymore."

Feb 20, 2018
Forgot to mention, one puff will wake the monkey and you'll be done for. He'll let you think that you got away with it the first, maybe second time, but he'll already be growing in strength. DON'T DO IT. Keep him in a coma FOREVER. Take your life back.

Mar 7, 2018

I just quitted smoking one by one. For the first day, I decreased the number of cigarettes I smoke by 1. For the second day, I decreased it by 2. For the third day I decreased it by 3 etc. It works and it becomes a habit for life if you take the steps little by little :)

Feb 20, 2018

ASK THE COMMUNITY