[SOLVED] Smps cable swapping

Dec 13, 2018
Okay so, yesterday i bought a Corsair 500 80plus smps and my old one was cooler master 500wtt. My new pc was working fine with the new smps. But, when i shut down my pc for long time and then press the power switch of my cabinet, nothing happened (the led on my router which denotes ethernet connection from router to pc, lightened up for two seconds and then turns off again). So i swap my old psu cable with the new one, and it worked fine. My new smps have a 16a plug but the old one doesn't. Again, i tried to use the new smps cable making sure nothing is losen up, and turn on the pc, it worked again 🙂. And failed to work for the second time just like the first time, so i had to swap the cables again. Please tell me can i use the old smps cable?

Solution
Ok. The photo helps A LOT. What country are you in? India? What kind of socket is in your walls?

Those are two different plugs for two different regions.

Also, the old one does have Earth ground. Instead of a pin, it's a contact plate. The metal edges come into contact with metal prongs on the outer edges of the wall socket.

If you do use the old plug, DEFINITELY clean it up. It looks VERY corroded. Those conductors should shine. If they're rusty, that creates resistance that could cause the plug to heat up and burn.
Ok. You're going to have to explain things a lot better.

Okay so, yesterday i bought a Corsair 500 80plus smps

What model?

when i shut down my pc for long time

How did you shut down? Through Windows? Or did you actually kill power to the PSU through a surge strip, etc.?

My new smps have a 16a plug but the old one doesn't.

The old one doesn't have a 16A plug? What does it have?

Again, i tried to use the new smps cable making sure nothing is losen up, and turn on the pc, it worked again 🙂. And failed to work for the second time just like the first time, so i had to swap the cables again. Please tell me can i use the old smps cable?

What is everything plugged into? Directly into the wall? A UPS? An AVR? A surge protector? A potato?

Okay so, yesterday i bought a Corsair 500 80plus smps and my old one was cooler master 500wtt. My new pc was working fine with the new smps. But, when i shut down my pc for long time and then press the power switch of my cabinet, nothing happened (the led on my router which denotes ethernet connection from router to pc, lightened up for two seconds and then turns off again). So i swap my old psu cable with the new one, and it worked fine. My new smps have a 16a plug but the old one doesn't. Again, i tried to use the new smps cable making sure nothing is losen up, and turn on the pc, it worked again 🙂. And failed to work for the second time just like the first time, so i had to swap the cables again. Please tell me can i use the old smps cable?

Don't mix modular power supply cables between brands and models, that is a good way to damage something.

Dec 13, 2018
Ok. You're going to have to explain things a lot better.

What model?

How did you shut down? Through Windows? Or did you actually kill power to the PSU through a surge strip, etc.?

The old one doesn't have a 16A plug? What does it have?

What is everything plugged into? Directly into the wall? A UPS? An AVR? A surge protector? A potato?
okay I'm extremely sorry for being a dummy, i have showed you two pictures on my ig page which has only 3 pictures posted (i couldn't post a link here). The name is Shahmen.23 (i know im being annoying, but i need help☹️).
Okay so,
  1. No, i never shut down my pc directly from the wall. I manually shut it down using windows.
  2. New smps is Corsair VS500 atx power supply 80 plus white. Old one cooler master 500wtt server. Both smps power cord have the same end.
  3. The old smps power cord have only two pins which i used to connect on normal 6a socket. After going through your reply i checked the old ones plug and 16a/220v was written on it☹️. But the new smps power cord is bigger than normal plugs so i had to make another 16a wall socket.
  4. When my pc didn't turn on, before swapping the cords, i tried to bring the cabinet and plugged into another 16a socket of my room. But the result was same, no response no lights no fan noise nothing.

Its not like the new smps cable Never worked or it's damaged. I had to push it hard for first couple of times when it didn't respond and after that my pc started normally. But yesterday it didn't work even after i made sure nothing is loosen up.

The old smps power cord have only two pins which i used to connect on normal 6a socket. After going through your reply i checked the old ones plug and 16a/220v was written on it☹. But the new smps power cord is bigger than normal plugs so i had to make another 16a wall socket.

This part concerns me.

"Only two pins": PC power supply power cords are GROUNDED and need to have a GROUND PIN. So that's HOT, NEUTRAL and GROUND. No Corsair power supply ships with a power cord with only two pins. Japan is the only one that comes close, but they give you HOT, NEUTRAL and an additional ground wire to screw down to an Earth ground. What country are you in???

And how is the new power cord "bigger"? They're both 500W PSUs, so either should use an 18gx3 power cord. So I'm not sure what you mean here and why you would need to "make another 16A wall socket".

Reactions: tridibeshdashingggg
Dec 13, 2018
This part concerns me.

"Only two pins": PC power supply power cords are GROUNDED and need to have a GROUND PIN. So that's HOT, NEUTRAL and GROUND. No Corsair power supply ships with a power cord with only two pins. Japan is the only one that comes close, but they give you HOT, NEUTRAL and an additional ground wire to screw down to an Earth ground. What country are you in???

And how is the new power cord "bigger"? They're both 500W PSUs, so either should use an 18gx3 power cord. So I'm not sure what you mean here and why you would need to "make another 16A wall socket".
You misunderstood. I was talking about The old smps (cooler master 500 watt server) which has just two pins and a hole where the earthing pin was supposed to be. And my home wall sockets are 6a, no 16a 3 pin plugs can be attached on that (because the pins of a 16a plug are thicker).
My question was, is it safe to use the old smps ac power cable? Because new one sometimes failing to start my pc. Both new and old(cooler master) smps cables have the same end(which goes directly to the smps).https://mega.nz/file/bnh2ARZa#i_CLcPXQR99VzUZb0tUaf55lV2exh9v1aX9jOsFxGFA

Last edited:
Ok. The photo helps A LOT. What country are you in? India? What kind of socket is in your walls?

Those are two different plugs for two different regions.

Also, the old one does have Earth ground. Instead of a pin, it's a contact plate. The metal edges come into contact with metal prongs on the outer edges of the wall socket.

If you do use the old plug, DEFINITELY clean it up. It looks VERY corroded. Those conductors should shine. If they're rusty, that creates resistance that could cause the plug to heat up and burn.

Reactions: tridibeshdashingggg
Solution