Diceflix

Reputable
May 22, 2016
Hi All,

Just a quick questions, I have Ryzen 3 1200 + Asrock AB350m HDV

from what i understand Ryzen 3 1200 doesn't support Simultaneous Multi Threading (SMT), however the SMT is enabled in my BIOS by default, should i disabled it?

I've been experiencing above-average idle temp (above 40 C and this using Gammaxx 400 cooler), but the max temp never goes beyond 60 during AAA gaming load. I wonder if BIOS-enabled SMT is a supporting factor to my high idle temps

The Ryzen Master software also doesn't allow me to switched "on" the SMT tho', however it's enabled by default in BIOS settings.

Thanks!

Diceflix

Reputable
May 22, 2016
Ryzen 3 1200 has 4 cores but only 4 threads so enabling or disabling SMT would not make make any difference. With 4 cores and 8 threads for instance, it would shut 4 threads off.

I see then, will try to disable it just because its useless leaving it enabled

anyway, do you guys happen to understand how my R3 1200 have high idle temps? i just recently switch the cooler to Deepcool Gammaxx 400 and don't see any different compare to the time i use the stock wraith cooler which is super weird as ideally Gammax 400 have much better temperature. I have reinstall the cooler, clean the old paste and re-paste the CPU, properly install the cooler. But there's no temperature improvement and the idle temps is that high 44 C at idle, straight up 38-40c at startup. not to mention 6 Case Fans

As information, I use AMD Balanced Power and monitor using Ryzen Master and MSI Afterburner

Diceflix

Reputable
May 22, 2016
What is your CPU fan speed at idle compared to loaded. Typically the fan spins slower at idle to cut down on noise since there's less heat to dissipate. 40C is perfectly fine and is a pretty common idle temp.

Hi..., CPU fan speed is set to "Performance" in BIOS

The temps is indeed not too worrying, the loiad temp during games is also perfect at only 60 C, but i see exactly 0 degree difference in temperature after switching to Gammaxx 400 from the Wraith stealth cooler, the difference normally should be by quite some margins based on reviews out there. Just curious, i have invest more bucks in hope to have better/lower CPU temp but it's turns out to be exactly same performance which is frustating. What probably be the cause? hardware/software?

Hi..., CPU fan speed is set to "Performance" in BIOS

The temps is indeed not too worrying, the loiad temp during games is also perfect at only 60 C, but i see exactly 0 degree difference in temperature after switching to Gammaxx 400 from the Wraith stealth cooler, the difference normally should be by quite some margins based on reviews out there. Just curious, i have invest more bucks in hope to have better/lower CPU temp but it's turns out to be exactly same performance which is frustating. What probably be the cause? hardware/software?
See that's the thing though. If your mobo is adjusting fan speed based on a target idle temp (40C), the Gammaxx may offer better cooling than the Wraith, which the mobo would only see as "I can run the Gammaxx fan slower than the Wraith fan at idle." (same for fully loaded)
You see this all the time in aftermarket cooler reviews, same temps compared to the stock cooler, but much lower noise. This is especially pronounced at idle where there isn't much heat coming off the CPU, so you're nearing the internal case temp. Ambient air temp is the great equalizer. The larger the difference between heatsink and ambient air temp, the more efficient a cooler is.

Last edited: