Question SMT vs No SMT for Editing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BeN00bly101

Honorable
May 16, 2014
Hey Everyone!
I'm looking at saving up for a new PC that kills in editing video in Vegas Pro as well as does perfect in games.
I would like to stick with Intel as I think that they have better thermal safety and slightly more recommended for tougher jobs like editing and rendering.
I was looking at wither the i7-8700K or the i7-9700K. I am a little conflicted because the 8700K is only a 6 physical core CPU but it features Simultaneous Multithreading. Where as the 9700K has 8 physical cores but does not come with SMT.
I don't quite have the budget for an i9 of any sorts, I've also heard that i9's are difficult to cool and I don't live in a very cool environment.

Anyways I guess my main question is, is it more worth getting a CPU with SMT for better performance with editing? OR opt out for the 8-Core without SMT and call it a day??

Ultimately, I am still going to have better then what I have now but I would just like to know as I edit 60Fps 1080p video and still get performance drops with what I have. I also want to play modern AAA games at at least 60fps obviously. Occasionally I do gaming videos and edit them too.

Cheers!

Spectre, Meltdown and all the variants need physical access to the system to run, there is no chance of getting it over the internet.
Javascript exploits have been shown for these exploits. That sounds awfully web vulnerable to me.

https://react-etc.net/entry/exploiting-speculative-execution-meltdown-spectre-via-javascript

Any way,

3700x will eat the 9700k on vegas pro for lunch. Both have thermal protection. However the 3700x will boost for a shorter period of time before it goes back to base clock compared to a 9700.

The 3700x is a 65w tdp part. The 3800x is 400MHz base clock faster but with over 100W tdp with boost. The 9700k is 95w tpd WITHOUT boost.

So that should set things in perspective on heat. Plus you have to buy a $60 cooler for the intel. The stock amd cooler that is inclided does the job just fine on thermals.

Last edited: