SMTP server problem or ...

What does SMTP transmission failure has occurred means ? Recently i
got alot of mails bouncing back with this error message. Pls advise.
Thanks

Regards,
Daniel

In news:6a6a9040.0406230746.6ea57dce@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> What does SMTP transmission failure has occurred means ? Recently i
> got alot of mails bouncing back with this error message. Pls advise.
> Thanks
>
> Regards,
> Daniel

You probably don't have a reverse lookup for your IP address, or your IP
address may be on a black hole list.
You can try using your ISP's mail server as a smart host, and send your
outgoing mail through them.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

In news:6a6a9040.0406230746.6ea57dce@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> posted their thoughts, then I offered
mine
> What does SMTP transmission failure has occurred means ? Recently i
> got alot of mails bouncing back with this error message. Pls advise.
> Thanks
>
> Regards,
> Daniel

Daniel, I suggest if you can post the whole error message for us, with an
example of a domain you're sending to, and your domain name and your mail
server IP, we can check it out for you and give you a definitive answer.

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --
=================================

Kevin
Does it concerns with reverse ip ? i thought it only concern with a
correct mx record. Btw if mails keep bouncing back with 10 failure
attempts does it concerns with reverse ip address ?

Regards,
Daniel

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message news:<uerX06TWEHA.208@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
> In news:6a6a9040.0406230746.6ea57dce@posting.google.com,
> Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> posted a question
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > What does SMTP transmission failure has occurred means ? Recently i
> > got alot of mails bouncing back with this error message. Pls advise.
> > Thanks
> >
> > Regards,
> > Daniel
>
> You probably don't have a reverse lookup for your IP address, or your IP
> address may be on a black hole list.
> You can try using your ISP's mail server as a smart host, and send your
> outgoing mail through them.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ============================
> --
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
> newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
> To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my email.
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> It will strip signature out and more
> Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
> OEBackup:

Ace, the message is as below,

Reason: SMTP transmission failure has occurred
Diagnostic code: smtp;554 delivery error: dd Sorry, your message to
karenlim1015@yahoo.com cannot be delivered.
Remote system: dns;mx2.mail.yahoo.com (YSmtp
mta322.mail.scd.yahoo.com ESMTP service ready)

Regards,
Daniel

In news:6a6a9040.0406240643.95ffd51@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Kevin
> Does it concerns with reverse ip ? i thought it only concern with a
> correct mx record. Btw if mails keep bouncing back with 10 failure
> attempts does it concerns with reverse ip address ?

Yes, you need a reverse lookup on your IP, but I can't say that is your
exact problem with out the exact NDR messsage.
It could be bounced spam causing this, too. What happens is, if your mail
server bounces mail, it can only bounce it to the address in the "from"
header, if the user in the from header does not exist, then your NDR will
get bounced back to you.

--

In news:6a6a9040.0406240650.1d7f9674@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> posted their thoughts, then I offered
mine
> Ace, the message is as below,
>
> Reason: SMTP transmission failure has occurred
> Diagnostic code: smtp;554 delivery error: dd Sorry, your message to
> karenlim1015@yahoo.com cannot be delivered.
> Remote system: dns;mx2.mail.yahoo.com (YSmtp
> mta322.mail.scd.yahoo.com ESMTP service ready)
>
> Regards,
> Daniel

If you or someone in your organization didn't send an email to
karenlim1015@yahoo.com, then the error is either from:

1. someone using your server as a relay
2. It's a virus on your network and it's sending out numerous emails
unknowingly
3. Someone spoofed the sending SMTP server as yours and you';re getting all
the NDRs.

Look here:

Returned Mail virus messages:
http://www.zyra.org.uk/vir-ret.htm

Yahoo! Mail - Yahoo! Mail Postmasters:
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/defer/defer-03.html

!Nmail Send error 554 delivery error dd This user doesn't have a yahoo.:
http://monkey.org/openbsd/archive/ports/0403/msg00284.html

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --
=================================

Kevin
What happenes now is most of my mails get bounced back with the
error message like "10 or 20 time attempts to delivere but failed" .
At first i suspect that those recipient mail server got problem but
then i use nslookup to check its mx record, its all there. So i
suspect now is my own smtp server.Is it possible my own smtp server or
even dns server causing this ?

Regards
Daniel

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message news:<#PStlxfWEHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> In news:6a6a9040.0406240643.95ffd51@posting.google.com,
> Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> posted a question
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > Kevin
> > Does it concerns with reverse ip ? i thought it only concern with a
> > correct mx record. Btw if mails keep bouncing back with 10 failure
> > attempts does it concerns with reverse ip address ?
>
> Yes, you need a reverse lookup on your IP, but I can't say that is your
> exact problem with out the exact NDR messsage.
> It could be bounced spam causing this, too. What happens is, if your mail
> server bounces mail, it can only bounce it to the address in the "from"
> header, if the user in the from header does not exist, then your NDR will
> get bounced back to you.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ============================
> --
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
> newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
> To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my email.
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> It will strip signature out and more
> Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
> OEBackup:

Kevin
Do you mean bounced spam could be caused by worms ? All my NDR is
only from my own sending mails. Then what could causes my server to
bound mails ?

In news:6a6a9040.0406250645.2944012c@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Kevin
> Do you mean bounced spam could be caused by worms ?

It may or not be worms, could just be bounced spam, I know my server bounces
a lot of mail to users that never existed on my server. So it gets sent back
to the user listed in the from line, which is usually a user that does not
exist either. It's a vicious circle.

All my NDR is
> only from my own sending mails. Then what could causes my server to
> bound mails ?

Maybe the sending server does not have a reverse lookup, it could be boucing
mail sent by worms. there are a lot of reasons. If mail is sent by a worm
which has its own SMTP server, it could come from an IP without a reverse
lookup.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my email.
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

In news:6a6a9040.0406250645.2944012c@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> posted their thoughts, then I offered
mine
> Kevin
> Do you mean bounced spam could be caused by worms ? All my NDR is
> only from my own sending mails. Then what could causes my server to
> bound mails ?
>
> Regards
> Daniel

Daniel, I think its time you looked into an antispam solution, such as a
FREE solution, like the freeware version of GFI's Mail Essentials:
www.gfi.com.
IT will eliminate much of this stuff.