[SOLVED] SN850 is not detected on Rampage V Extreme/U3.1

Mar 12, 2022
Hi, I got WD_BLACK SN850 NVMe SSD PCIe Gen4.

But my Asus Rampage V Extreme /U3.1 does not detect the SSD.

I got the latest BIOS for this motherboard which is Version 3701. And I did reset the Bios, as well as Clear CMOS using the button behind the mobo.

I did test this SSD on other motherboard and it detects the SSD just fine. So we can confirm this SSD works fine but my motherboard unfortunately cannot detect it.

On my motherboard I only have my graphics card on the PCIe x16 lanes. And the rest of the lanes are empty; unused.

Other than that, I have a Blu Ray drive connected to the standard Sata port (not Sata express)

In addition, I found some guide telling to set the following:

Advanced Menu -> Onboard Devices Configuration -> PCIEx8_4 and M.2 Configuration -> M.2

BUT, I don't even see the PCIEx8_4 and M.2 option, it doesn't exist in my BIOS Onboard Devices Configuration menu.

Am I missing something? Is there an option to turn this on?

Or is this SSD not supported by this motherboard? What SSD can I use that works with this motherboard if the one I have is not supported?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
Your Motherboard has two M.2 slots A and B. One is an M.2_1 and the other is M.2_2 and they differ.
R3CpeKS.jpg

M.2_1 port can support SATA mode and PCIE mode
M.2_2 port can only support PCIE mode and can't support SATA mode. Therefore, if you connect SATA mode M.2 SSD to M.2_2 port, the computer can't recognize.

Have you tried the other M.2 slot?
Your Motherboard has two M.2 slots A and B. One is an M.2_1 and the other is M.2_2 and they differ.
R3CpeKS.jpg

M.2_1 port can support SATA mode and PCIE mode
M.2_2 port can only support PCIE mode and can't support SATA mode. Therefore, if you connect SATA mode M.2 SSD to M.2_2 port, the computer can't recognize.

Have you tried the other M.2 slot?

Solution
Mar 12, 2022
I'm sorry, you got the wrong motherboard. That's definitely not my motherboard; mine is the Asus Rampage V Extreme.

There is only one M.2 slot.

In addition, I did more test, I tested an old M.2 SSD, Intel SSD 660p Series PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 1TB and my motherboard detects it.

So does it mean the WD_BLACK SN850 NVMe SSD PCIe Gen4 IS NOT supported?

Or there is a special setting I need to set for newer M.2 SSD?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS