Snapdragon 820 Will Support 600 Mbps Cat 12 LTE, 802.11ad Wi-Fi, LTE-U

Status
Not open for further replies.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Some of the tech is pretty cool to have in a phone/tablet (AC/AD), but modem speeds with no networks to use them mean pretty much nothing (likely for years to come). By the time I need these speeds from cat12/13 I'll be on a new phone, not to mention all it does is speed me to a 2GB cap even faster than before, which already could not do a 720P movie let alone a 1080P one...LOL. This would be more important if uncapped, which is not likely to happen for years if not longer (unless you just like HUGE bills and can afford more data).

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Now, THIS is "tri-band". somebodyspecial - keep in mind that 802.11ad is not meant to replace 802.11ac, it is completely unsuitable to be used for WLAN, its primary purpose is to facilitate wireless docking stations. This is absolutely great to have in a smartphone with a powerful processor - I'd love to have a docking station with USB, HDMI and other common ports that my phone could just connect to once I'm home.

The only problem I envision is that Google and smartphone vendors won't be really happy with that sort of a setup - they want to sell you more crap to do the same things in different scenarios, replacing all of it with one powerful device and a docking station is their nightmare. Custom ROMs to the rescue as usual, I guess.

fil333

Reputable
May 22, 2014
What is the point in having a 60GHz WiFi antenna in a phone? Especially with data caps being as strenuous as ever. I'd rather see more effort going into energy saving than yet more features to absolutely rape your battery life.

Status
Not open for further replies.