News Snapdragon Elite X Windows AI PCs get official, starting at $1,099 — Acer, Dell, HP, and Lenovo are all onboard, with some models promising “multi-...

Status
Not open for further replies.

suryasans

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
I doubt the success of Qualcomm based Windows laptops because these laptops are priced more than $ 1000 but none of them are equipped with a discrete GPU. It's only possible in Apple ecosystem with its hardcore fanbase where the buyers will be fine if their overpriced Apple branded laptops aren't equipped with a discrete GPU.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I doubt the success of Qualcomm based Windows laptops because these laptops are priced more than $ 1000 but none of them are equipped with a discrete GPU. It's only possible in Apple ecosystem with its hardcore fanbase where the buyers will be fine if their overpriced Apple branded laptops aren't equipped with a discrete GPU.

They actually start at $999, so unsure where the headline got $1099

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/configure/surface-laptop-7th-edition/8tq2hq5xxkj9
X Plus, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD - $999

//

Plenty of Intel / AMD laptops are $1000+ without a dGPU, though. That isn't a Qualcomm-specific problem.

See the Dell XPS 13, Spectre x360 14, Lenovo ThinkBook, FlexBook, ThinkPad X1s, Acer Swifts, LG Gram, etc. The MSRPs for many models, especially with 16GB DRAM, start over $1000 without a dGPU.

Most thin and lights simply don't use a dGPU; it's too wasteful and reduces efficiency in mainstream consumer laptops.

Reactions: slightnitpick

ButchLugrod

Prominent
Jun 23, 2022
Windows PCs encompass a big market, and I think a significant portion of that market would happily sacrifice the dGPU in order to have massive gains in battery life and weight savings. I work in a large enterprise (17,000+ employees) and outside of the creative teams, every single person would, without hesitation, trade in their old Dell for a new laptop that is lighter, faster, and has better battery life and thermals.

If these are as good (or nearly) as they are saying, these new machines are going to be huge sellers. Probably not big with the gamer crowd (not yet anyway) but that's a comparatively smaller segment of the market.

Reactions: slightnitpick

The Hardcard

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2014
Windows PCs encompass a big market, and I think a significant portion of that market would happily sacrifice the dGPU in order to have massive gains in battery life and weight savings. I work in a large enterprise (17,000+ employees) and outside of the creative teams, every single person would, without hesitation, trade in their old Dell for a new laptop that is lighter, faster, and has better battery life and thermals.

If these are as good (or nearly) as they are saying, these new machines are going to be huge sellers. Probably not big with the gamer crowd (not yet anyway) but that's a comparatively smaller segment of the market.
While Qualcomm will probably have the lead, I don’t think it’s a big enough lead. AMD laptops already are not too shabby on battery, much better than 2018 Windows laptops. More importantly, I think Strix and Lunar will both be more than good enough. I don’t see a path for any night and day differences in any metric.

The Qualcomms will sell, but not as much as they hoped for.

suryasans

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
They actually start at $999, so unsure where the headline got $1099

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/configure/surface-laptop-7th-edition/8tq2hq5xxkj9
X Plus, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD - $999

//

Plenty of Intel / AMD laptops are $1000+ without a dGPU, though. That isn't a Qualcomm-specific problem.

See the Dell XPS 13, Spectre x360 14, Lenovo ThinkBook, FlexBook, ThinkPad X1s, Acer Swifts, LG Gram, etc. The MSRPs for many models, especially with 16GB DRAM, start over $1000 without a dGPU.

Most thin and lights simply don't use a dGPU; it's too wasteful and reduces efficiency in mainstream consumer laptops.
You forgot that most consumers don't see any differentiation on any Qualcomm based laptop. Most PC users are satisfied with AMD/Intel based laptops that are much lower in price while getting what They need from their AMD/Intel laptops like portability, pen-capable touchscreen and guaranteed legacy software compatibility. This article decribes what laptop that most of buyers seek if they want to buy >$ 1000 laptops.https://www.techradar.com/news/best-thin-and-light-gaming-laptops

Last edited:

Notton

Commendable
Dec 29, 2023
Asus Vivobook S15 (S5507) is $1299

Samsung Galaxy Book4 Edge 14" 3.4Ghz: $1729
Samsung Galaxy Book4 Edge 16" 3.8Ghz: $2129

Something not mentioned: Qualcomm's page indicates X Elite comes with a "Snapdragon™ X65 5G Modem-RF System". I wonder if that is an optional feature, or we have a new era of integration.

If Qualcomm is serious about chopping away at the laptop market, they are going to need something cheaper than US$1000.
Especially when Intel Lunar Lake and AMD Strix Point are just around the corner.

Here is hoping for a 3-way price war.

Reactions: suryasans

slightnitpick

Upstanding
Nov 2, 2023
I work in a large enterprise (17,000+ employees) and outside of the creative teams, every single person would, without hesitation, trade in their old Dell for a new laptop that is lighter, faster, and has better battery life and thermals.
I agree about the dGPU being very much optional. But I wouldn't trade in my old Dell. I hate those clickable touchpads. I like my old Dell with its discrete left, middle, right buttons for the touchpad.

May 9, 2024
These prices are ridiculous. The early adopters as always gets the first round of devices. They can be the guinea pigs. I want Arm on Windows to succeed, in the MOBILE market. Cost to build an ARM PC with a dGPU is going to be serious cash. Why they have this competition instead of unifying products across the board so everyone has access to the same experience via hardware would see the whole industry grow exponentially. Many more people would be able to create, play games, build businessness and advance our technology. Nope it's all for profit, sell enough to the highest bidders to fund the garbage entry devices. What a world, bout an HP 445 g8 R5 5600u for $200 off eBay. Loads of power can game and is x86. ARM has a place it's mobile and this is where it will succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts