News Snapdragon X Elite with liquid metal thermal paste yields disappointing results

Notton

Commendable
Dec 29, 2023
A few thoughts

Use Honeywell PTM7950, what is this, 2018?
It's only hitting 88C in a thin and light, which is perfectly acceptable
Are we sure it's actually 88C? I thought temp/power/usage monitoring software wasn't working on this chip just yet
It seems to be boosting higher/longer to fill in any gains from the improved thermal performance.
Try pointing a large fan at the bottom and see if there is any extra performance to be gained by improving the cooling

Slapping on liquid metal is the last thing I would have tried.
Taking the bottom cover off and blasting a large fan at it would be my first choice.

Amdlova

Distinguished
BANNED
its why I use a rubber case on my s23... with power savings all the time...
Qualcomm CPU it's good to fry a EGG on it. In summer when reach 40 c the phone become a finger print remover.

Bad intel cpus now your time to shine over this ARM afterburner

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
A few thoughts

Use Honeywell PTM7950, what is this, 2018?
It's only hitting 88C in a thin and light, which is perfectly acceptable
Are we sure it's actually 88C? I thought temp/power/usage monitoring software wasn't working on this chip just yet
It seems to be boosting higher/longer to fill in any gains from the improved thermal performance.
Try pointing a large fan at the bottom and see if there is any extra performance to be gained by improving the cooling

Slapping on liquid metal is the last thing I would have tried.
Taking the bottom cover off and blasting a large fan at it would be my first choice.

yep, im sure most users would get a thin/light and do the remove parts thing. That'll work great on the train on the way to work or home.

CmdrShepard

Prominent
BANNED
Dec 18, 2023
Yeah, I'd say a few % performance improvement + 2 degree peak temperature reduction is actually pretty good for just replacing the thermal compound. As @Notton suggested, the chassis is probably heat-soaked and really just needs a beefier cooler and/or better ventilation.
All the risks associated with liquid metal application are hardly worth those 2-3% gain.

It seems that nowadays people don't get basic laws of physics -- smaller surface => worse heat transfer, and Snapdragon has even less die surface than Intel notebook let alone desktop CPUs which are already hard enough to cool.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
It seems that nowadays people don't get basic laws of physics -- smaller surface => worse heat transfer, and Snapdragon has even less die surface than Intel notebook let alone desktop CPUs which are already hard enough to cool.
But it doesn't clock as high.

Also, I think it's using the same process as AMD's phoenix APUs. I'll bet the core sizes are pretty similar, too.

"Asus might provide a new firmware update that further optimizes the cooling and performance" - another pre-scripted excuse!!

Reviews and reporters need to stop, making excuses for manufacturers of rubbish equipment, if the Snap-X and the Vivo is too slow, runs too hot and has poor cooling to save a few pennies on the BOM, then say so. Your supposed to do these reviews/reportsf on behalf of consumers so we don't get ripped off and have know what to expect.

Unless your too chicken sh!t and no longer independently unbiased, preferring to keep the manufacturers happy for access to products to report on, resulting in advertising sales???

Notton

Commendable
Dec 29, 2023
yep, im sure most users would get a thin/light and do the remove parts thing. That'll work great on the train on the way to work or home.
They are benchmarking it. They had to remove the bottom cover to apply liquid metal in the first place.
Why don't you read the article?

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I think it just proves that heat transfer is not the issue. The chip itself is not that power hungry, so it is not surprising that improving the heat transfer don't do much. In the case of x86, the "45W" TDP is not really fixed because of the concept of "turbo" or "boost". I feel because of the surge in power draw and heat, having liquid metal will help transfer the heat away faster, allowing the chip to sustain a longer boost. But as the heatsink becomes saturated with heat, it will throttle anyway. But the longer it boost, the better the performance.