Sneaking up on a new system

mrfederalist

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2004
New guy here. Been browsing for years and the forum is a great place to pick up information.

I've historically been a Dell customer.

I'd like to build my own machine.

I have couple of older, powerleaped PC's that are OK for the business side of my life, but lag in the GAMING part of my life (you know the FUN side).

Don't want to spend *&^*&*& (obscene) amount of money to buy the Dell version of a gaming machine and I would like to take a chance on building my own, if for only the experience. It may also take me a few months to buy the case, then the mobo, etc. So I'm not looking at a outlay of XXXX dollars to buy all the components at once.

Seems to me, start at the case.

It is going to be buried in my furniture (limited airflow, don't care what it looks like).

Not an Intel or AMD bigot.

Can we start the discussion.

Thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Holiday buying season, new boards hitting the market this week, I'd build in mid January when the prices are down a bit.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mrfederalist

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2004
I guess I'm asking what kind of decisions I need to make concerning the case in light of changes to motherboard sizes.

If I buy a case now, can I use for a different motherboard in 6 months?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most top boards will continue to be standard ATX for the forseeable future.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Both. Intel invented it, but it's a standard. And like other standards, everybody follows it.

Intel released a new standard, BTX, last year. Nobody wants it, hence availability of parts is small.

BTX was basically ATX reversed. Intel decided to set up ventilation paths, which they could have done with ATX. But just to make your life harder (or to make the new parts only compatable with the other new parts), Intel decided to reverse the board as well.

The main reason Intel pushed BTX was because the Prescott core processors are overheating. But as it turns out, Intel decided to cut their losses with the Prescott, hence there won't be any new Prescotts, hence the reason behind BTX is gone, further setting market resistance against adapting this new standard.

So Intel, AMD, either way you're most likely going to ATX just like nearly everyone else.

mrfederalist

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2004
Thanks Crashman.

I've read some of your other recommendations regarding case selection. It appears most cases come with a PS. Other than spending money for overcapacity can you have too much of a PS? Is it safe to assume that a bigger PS equal more heat?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can't have too much power supply. Power supplies draw power based on how much they output, this is the nature of transformers. And the exhaust more heat than they put into the system, because they draw warm air out of the system.

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Since you metioned that you were stashing the pc away, take a look at <A HREF="http://www.aerocool.us/Lubic/gallery.htm" target="_new">Lubic</A>

<font color=green><b><i>Lizards</font color=green></b> do <b>not</b> taste like <b><font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b>,<b> <font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b> tastes like <font color=green><b>lizard.</b></font color=green></i>