SNES Classic Pre-Orders Open, Immediately Close

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodroses

Distinguished
And this is why they should of had protection against scripts used for scalpers. They had to do similar for sporting events and music concerts.

Either way, still no chance in hell I'd buy one since Nintendo already screwed everyone over on the NES classic; and plan to do the same with the SNES classic. It makes be feel proud at this point playing those ROMS on my Pi3. :)

They could easily make a CAPTCHA required to purchase the product, or implement a system that analyzes the amount of time it takes to initiate and complete the order. If it's under like 1 second then they know it's a bot. I don't think it's very fair to people who want to just purchase the product,

Because not everyone has a SNES, and this comes with a bunch of preloaded games and has some other nice features, and can use HDMI to connect to a modern television. Just because a product is not for you does not mean it's not for other people.

(Or, for the younger generation, a bunch of games they've heard a lot about but haven't "had an easy way to play until now.)"

The younger generation would just use an emulator to play snes games.
(At least that's what I would do if I wanted to play Zelda A Link to the Past.)

The only buyers I see for these kind of old school devices are Nintendo collectors and the scalpers trying to profit off of the aforementioned Nintendo collectors.

I have not checked in many years, but there was always a never ending supply of used consoles and games for sale on eBay and Craig's List. I was always interested in what I could sell my old consoles and games for (NES, Sega Genesis, N64).

This was before the apparent retro gaming craze though. Fortunately I kept them and will never get rid of them. I got rid of a girlfriend over them who wanted me to get rid of "junk" (women: don't ever tell a gamer boyfriend what to throw away that is sentimental to him).

zippyzion

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
E-mail notifications don't work. I'm signed up with Best Buy and Amazon and didn't get notified last year for the NES Classic or this year so far with the SNES. You need to be a clairvoyant robot to get one of these at the rate things are going. It is almost like retailers don't even care about consumers as long as they can sell their entire stock.

bloodroses

Distinguished

Honestly, the retailers don't. All they care about is bottom line profits; business 101.

Yeah I didn't get one either. Not that it would have mattered with its ridiculous opening time.

g-unit1111

Titan

Wow, the Gamestop site crashed. I'd love to get one of these because I love the SNES and all the games on it are classic, but I'm still fed up with Nintendo over how they handled the NES classsic and how they've handled the Switch so far.

g-unit1111

Titan

I don't know, I'm almost tempted to go to my local Gamestop during lunch to see if it's still possible to buy one. I think Nintendo needs to find a new supplier.

teknomedic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
@Mastermace "Unlike modern consoles my SNES still works, why would I need this?"

Star Fox 2.

...though more than likely it'll be ripped and the rom put online after release. There's also some emulator goodies like rewinding gameplay and graphic adjusts etc.

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Meh stop living in the past... NES & SNES pre-orders go out of stock in less than 5 seconds. NES is now 5 times more expensive on Amazon. All this, and I could care less... I have an awesome gaming machine with better games... I had a NES back in the day and all the games sucked... yea the SNES games were much better but they still don't compare to the games being developed today...

Wow what a party pooper, lol! Seriously though, as people get older, they often like to go into a virtual time machine and re-live their past youthful days (guys specifically). Retro gaming is one of those time machine portals, and it's not about visuals or dullard gameplay by today's standards. That's not the point of retro gaming.

Just look at how popular Minecraft has been to both young and old as a modern game. Its simple large block pixel graphics look ancient compared to even what the 20 year old N64 had. Then there's the popularity of the retro Atari 2600 and games like Pitfall (jump or swing over those three crocs!), Night Driver ("driving" between white sticks in total darkness), and Adventure (oh those scary dragons!).

So point being: retro gaming has soared in popularity for a reason. Even kids who grew up with tablet and smart phone games as pacifiers who now have PS4s and XB1s want in on the action when they see their parents having a retro blast.

bloodroses

Distinguished

Speak for yourself. I personally couldn't care less about the next fps that comes out since that's all there just about is anymore it seems. The other thing is many of us gamers don't have 30+ hrs to spend on a video game; where the older games are a great pick up and play for 30 minutes or so.

zippyzion

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Went to a Gamestop and got some convoluted story about how the region I'm in pooled their preorders and a couple locations basically sold them all out. I have no faith in any of these retailers anymore. Someone is getting the "sweet hook ups" (is that what the kids are saying these days?), either legitimately or illegitimately, and it isn't me.

Status
Not open for further replies.