Snobbish Uncle Threatens With Wifi Kick

WidowmakerIsBae

Commendable
May 13, 2016
I seem to have to hear every time my uncle comes down that he can kick me off of the wifi. He knows I know very little about computers (I am trying to learn now however) so I feel he does this to tease me or to try and assert himself. I would like to know if this is possible. I know he can view the routers IP address but I wasn't sure how he can remotely control the router. Maybe by using the WPA2 key located on the bottom? If anyone can help me learn a little more about networking that would be great.

Solution

Once and for all? No.
It will just end up being a pissing match between you and uncle. Repeated resets back to factory default settings.

If all he does is say "I can shut your WiFi off!", but never actually does it...just ignore. He is just talking to feel his lips flap, and to assert his authority.

USAFRet

Titan

Most routers have a feature for "Parental Control". Depending on the router, this gives wide leeway as to what is possible.
"Block this device from anywhere except www.google.com, and only allow that between the hours of 3 and 4 PM."
"Block this device completely"
"Allow all access, except between the hours of 4 and 7 PM"
"Block all between the hours of 1 and 7 AM"

Stuff like that.

If he has the admin password for the router and you do not, there is nothing you can do to prevent him from blocking your device(s).

WidowmakerIsBae

Commendable
May 13, 2016

As far as I know there aren't any restrictions for internet usage. If I do the whole Windows key+R or whatever (using windows 7) can I change the admin password? I know I can manually reset back to factory defaults but I'd like to show him he doesn't bother me.

USAFRet

Titan

Those were just examples of what is possible. He who controls the router can disable any device he wants.

You can only change the router password by knowing what the current password is. You have to log into the router setting to do this.
Or, set it back to factory. In which case your uncle will just change it again.

If it is not your router (as in you pay the bill), leave it alone.
And don't piss off he who does pay the bill.

WidowmakerIsBae

Commendable
May 13, 2016

Well its my grandmothers. I help her pay for it and set her up with her mobile devices. They rarely come down but I don't like to be made to look dumb, especially if I can do something about it, and that's kind of his m.o. By resetting to factory default and locating its admin password change settings can I stop this once and for all?

USAFRet

Titan

Once and for all? No.
It will just end up being a pissing match between you and uncle. Repeated resets back to factory default settings.

If all he does is say "I can shut your WiFi off!", but never actually does it...just ignore. He is just talking to feel his lips flap, and to assert his authority.

Solution

WidowmakerIsBae

Commendable
May 13, 2016

Wise words my friend. Thanks for the help!