[SOLVED] Snow at a tv connected to pc with HDMI

Scarlet D.

Commendable
Nov 10, 2019
Hello there.

I recently got an old used Sony Bravia KDL-32u30000 and I wanted to make a good use of it, so I installed it in a different room than my PC with initial thought that I could connect it with a really long HDMI with my PC. Everything had to work fine, I bought an adapter male display port to female HDMI, a 8m hdmi aaaaand I had a couple of problems I will list below and the things I tried in order to fix it.

Option 1: I attached the adapter to the hdmi and then to my graphic card in the display port gate. At first the tv seems fine and gradually it gets a lot of hdmi snow. (don't really get how a digital signal can give snow)
Option 2: I attached the hdmi directly to the hdmi gate of my graphic card, same effect as above with no difference.
Option 3:I enabled my Intel graphic display settings (So my CPU was acting as a graphic card) and connected the display to the hdmi that was on the motherboard. It seemed to work pretty good but for some reason it was sometimes giving me an "out of range" message and the display was momentarily black, the problem was fixed for half an hour or so by removing and reconnecting the HDMI on the side of the TV display.

I got a video here (that's what happens on option 1):
https://mega.nz/#!2U4iESwI!V7QPIgu2UZON1cEQLSrS86qFqxJngwsHu8tEqIpFLGc

Solution
Over 5meters, digital signal begins to degrade and pixels start to miss causing artefacts and sparkles.

To overcome longer runs is either an amplified Hdmi cable or Hdmi over cat cable bridging the connection with balun's.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Over 5meters, digital signal begins to degrade and pixels start to miss causing artefacts and sparkles.

To overcome longer runs is either an amplified Hdmi cable or Hdmi over cat cable bridging the connection with balun's.

Solution

Scarlet D.

Commendable
Nov 10, 2019

As I see on videos, this one is considered a very good solution in my case, thought I find it a little pricey for my standards. On option 2 (connect the HDMI to the cpu graphic card) it seems like it kind of solves the problem (or at least the problem is not that annoying) without much effort and anything to buy, it just gives off an "out of range message" sometimes and that is resolved through removing and reentering the hdmi cable to the gate so i'd wonder if there is a same workaround with graphic card (AMD Radeon RX 570 series) or if I could completely eliminate that "out of range" message

Scarlet D.

Commendable
Nov 10, 2019
Igpu Hdmi may give that extra oomph in amplified signal but doesn't last long.

There isn't anything else that can improve this. I stand by what i suggested. Amplified cable or Hdmi over network cable.

I've search for amplified cables and I found an "amplifier" which gives seems like it works as a splitter too but I wouldn't use it as that. Would it be trusty to use to in order to amplify the signal?

(sorry but the site is in my home language)

Scarlet D.

Commendable
Nov 10, 2019
Should work

hmmm, nice. Last question: Do you think it will work if i just do the connections like this

Graphic card --> smallest hdmi cable I can find ---> amplifier box ---> 8m hdmi cable --->TV
or do i need to do this
Graphic Card --> 4m hdmi cable ---> amplifier box---->4m hdmi cable---> TV

Scarlet D.

Commendable
Nov 10, 2019
Well don't know how what I did fixed anything but... I upgraded the resolution to 1920x1080 and reduced the refresh rate from 60hz to 25hz, interlaced, for some reason that is translated as 50hz in my TV(???). Anyway it seems if I get the resolution lower and/or the refresh rate other than 25hz interlanced, I still get snow but somehow found that "golden setting" that doesn't produce snow. (At least I have the tv turned on for like 30-40 mins and still no snow)