Snow Leopard Breaks Some App Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Wait.... McAfee VirusScan and Norton AntiVirus won´t work properly? WTF!!! I thought no anti-virus was needed for Mac, mmmmmm, someone has been making false statements!!!! lolol

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I consider broken compatibility with McAfee and Norton a benefit. It will encourage users to find anti-malware apps that don't hog system resources and add more holes than they fix.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Had it delivered today and it just finished installing. Have to say, very much underwhelming. I don't know why I was expecting more having known that it was a "behind the scenes" upgrade but I still was. After having used it for an hour I can't honestly say for certain that the machine feels any snappier. It was already fast with the previous version. I suppose if I benchmarked some things I would notice a difference but from normal usage I don't really notice anything different at all.

Very disappointed. Could have bought a couple cases of Dos for $30.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I do have to say, however, that it did free up quite a bit of space and the new expose is pretty useful. It's not as intuitive as the Windows 7 taskbar because you have to hold down the icon and wait for expose to kick in and then you can switch between open windows of the same program whereas Windows 7 you just hover over the icon and all the open windows show up as a thumbnail. Different way of doing it but I think Windows does it better. Still useful though.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Antivirus versions listed are probably older versions. And if Apple added new "security features" these might have disabled some backdoor those antivirus programs were using. Remember it took a while before Symantec and McAfee had anti-virus for Vista, and Microsoft got those beta's out the door long before they released it.

abhik

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
Seeing as this is an apple product. doesnt this become a feature?

Wait a minute...come to think of it...hey! i want my programs to not work either. screw you microsoft!!!

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Tomshardware should do a review of Snow Leopard...They did a rather extensive review of the unibody macbook a while ago, so why not?

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
@tayb
New expose useful. I agree, expose rocks but it came out with Tiger. Snow Leopard allowed it to be put on the Dock. I like it best hot spotted to a screen corner myself, would be faster than finding it on the dock anyway.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Yeah I have it on a corner as well. Bottom left is all applications top left is program applications. The "new" expose feature basically lets you do the program applications by clicking on the respective icon and holding it down. Expose also shows minimized applications which is a new thing.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, more of Tom's trying to find a problem in Apple's latest OS where there is none. I have NONE of those applications on my MacPro which has going thru Tiger to Leopard and now Leopard to Snow Leopard. And some of those version numbers are pre-historic.

And yes, you don't need Anti-Vrius software for your Mac, I've been running my Macs for 3 years now without them and not a single problem. The people that buy Anti-Virus software for the Mac are most likely people that come from the Windows world - driven by fear. I have no idea why anyone would buy Norton or McAfee for the Mac, sorta like buying condoms for a priest.

Leopard Snow is $29, Windows 7 Ultimate is $220. What was in Vista that people "NEEDED" to have? What's in Windows 7 that people NEED to have -- nothing other than major headaches.

The Key feature Snow Leopard brings is a 64bit native OS, Finder is much faster now that it is native 64bit. Preview now supports just about any Camera you plug into a Mac without any additional vendor software. A bunch of useful interface changes to improve workflow. And a host of other features that "stay out of your way" unlike say Vista where one is endlessly prompted when doing anything with UAC enabled.

Oh yeah, and Mac's also don't automatically assume you're a pirate/thief and don't try to hide the ability to record streams from the Mix Out channel like Vista does.

But I expected nothing less or more from Tom's -- more bad writing, misleading information, and a money trial back to Microsoft.

Oh BTW, did I mention it's $29 for one version that does all, not 10 different version like Vista/Windows 7 to make you feel like Microsoft is somehow giving you more choices and saving you money .... hahaha

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]Yeah, more of Tom's trying to find a problem in Apple's latest OS where there is none. I have NONE of those applications on my MacPro which has going thru Tiger to Leopard and now Leopard to Snow Leopard. And some of those version numbers are pre-historic.And yes, you don't need Anti-Vrius software for your Mac, I've been running my Macs for 3 years now without them and not a single problem. The people that buy Anti-Virus software for the Mac are most likely people that come from the Windows world - driven by fear. I have no idea why anyone would buy Norton or McAfee for the Mac, sorta like buying condoms for a priest.Leopard Snow is $29, Windows 7 Ultimate is $220. What was in Vista that people "NEEDED" to have? What's in Windows 7 that people NEED to have -- nothing other than major headaches.The Key feature Snow Leopard brings is a 64bit native OS, Finder is much faster now that it is native 64bit. Preview now supports just about any Camera you plug into a Mac without any additional vendor software. A bunch of useful interface changes to improve workflow. And a host of other features that "stay out of your way" unlike say Vista where one is endlessly prompted when doing anything with UAC enabled.Oh yeah, and Mac's also don't automatically assume you're a pirate/thief and don't try to hide the ability to record streams from the Mix Out channel like Vista does.But I expected nothing less or more from Tom's -- more bad writing, misleading information, and a money trial back to Microsoft.Oh BTW, did I mention it's $29 for one version that does all, not 10 different version like Vista/Windows 7 to make you feel like Microsoft is somehow giving you more choices and saving you money .... hahaha[/citation]
Had a mac. Got tired of buying camera's, expansion cards, and trying to sync my phone. Had it for a month and then it went back. And its more like 529 for the upgrade. You already paid the apple tax. Probably a few times over buy the way you talk.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Suggesting that no one "needs" something in Windows Vista/7 is just as sensible as an IT manager at a company telling all staff that they all need the same computer which will be a keyboard, mouse and a screen because we are transitioning to dumb terminals and putting all the money into cluster servers for us (the IT department). In other words vast generalizations are generally ones made in bias and dare I say ignorance.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
snow kitty is out! nice. maybe now with true 64bit support macs will get somewhere and their apps too - i'm looking at you adobe - after effects and the cs bunch. long enough have we endured 32bit memory allocation bottleneck for "professional" video editing apps.

sp00

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
The Apple tax is that you pay more for the hardware, buy less for the software. The PC tax is that you pay less for Hardware, but more for the software.

Anyway, I use both Macs and PCs, but the old Apple is so much more expensive hasn't been true for a long time. But everyone likes to compare prebuilt Apples to home built PCs, which is just a bad argument. Anyway, I don't think any PC users would like Windows 7 to be referred as Vista.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Actually, I'd like to call it vista 2. windows 7 is just unintuitive. I'm using it now and vista is just a nicer name. and referring to something merely as "7" doesn't cut it in most conversations.

--

If apple would let go of idea to get 200% minimum profit from every sell they do and make Mac OS available as standalone OS, I'd be inclined to give it a try. As it is, its 2x wasted.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Why Apple didn't use Cocoa API in FCS 3 and Logic 9 is beyond me -- same with Adobe and CS4 ... but Adobe have promised CS5 will support it and Apple have promised FCS 3 & Logic 9 updates with Cocoa API.

So then, list exactly what do you NEED in Windows 7 or Vista? DX10/DX11 for games, yeah that turned out real well with most game developers NOT producing native DX10 games and still many don't even 2 years later. But gaming on Windows PC is barely moving along on Life Support -- the games that do come out are the same old same old, kill, shoot, run, jump ... yawn! I get more stimulation by watching my lawn grow than current PC games.

expansion cards huh? I have no problems synching my iPhone, Apple tax -- ok, you're not making any sense. So let me see, on my Mac I click "eject" to disconnect a external device or just turn it off, do that in Vista and you have to click the little icon in the systray to "Safely remove hardware" which then brings you to another screen listing the ALL your USB/external connections without any real meaningful description next to them and you then click Stop (if you pick the wrong device this does nothing) -- you are once again brought to yet another screen prompting you if this is Ok.

So you like Vista's 3 prompts (one which is virtually useless) vs the Mac's no prompt single click on Eject? Yeah, I can see how MUCH better that is????

And how many of you have UAC disabled in Vista? Why, because you hate the constant prompts ... hmmmm ... so much for Vista security.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]eodeo[/nom]Actually, I'd like to call it vista 2. windows 7 is just unintuitive. I'm using it now and vista is just a nicer name. and referring to something merely as "7" doesn't cut it in most conversations.--If apple would let go of idea to get 200% minimum profit from every sell they do and make Mac OS available as standalone OS, I'd be inclined to give it a try. As it is, its 2x wasted.[/citation]

200% profit, yeah right!! So by your own calculations with Apple's 200% profit on every sale, Apple must have a net worth about 3X that of Microsoft -- funny, where is Apple hiding all the money then??

I seriously doubt you would ever be willing to give it a try, your mind seems pretty closed, just as most of the Windows fanboys and girls here.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Funny how the Windows fanboys come out whenever there's an Apple story. Most of the comments are so retarded, they're mind boggling. How you can like one blood-sucking corporation and bash another is beyond me.

zubai

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
[citation][nom]sp00[/nom]The Apple tax is that you pay more for the hardware, buy less for the software. The PC tax is that you pay less for Hardware, but more for the software. Anyway, I use both Macs and PCs, but the old Apple is so much more expensive hasn't been true for a long time. But everyone likes to compare prebuilt Apples to home built PCs, which is just a bad argument. Anyway, I don't think any PC users would like Windows 7 to be referred as Vista.[/citation]
The hardware is the same for Mac and Windows. Why pay $100 more for the same hardware? Like this GTX http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3603

Status
Not open for further replies.