Question So a little predictament here

everything0

Commendable
May 11, 2017
I'll keep this short. Been using a 1060 6GB. It has DVI-D and HDMI ports.

I run a 2 screen setup on a crappy 20 inch monitor (only has VGA, so I use a VGA to DVI-D), and a Vizio 20 inch TV with HDMI. As it should, boots with the monitor, switches to the TV. Two screens. All well and done.

I bought a 2080 Super (using monthly payments). Display ports and HDMI.. I don't have monitor in my house that supports these. I can't boot through a TV using HDMI if I recall. I don't have any knowledge of VGA converters, I don't have any onboard GPU (cough, X570 Gaming Edge AM4 mobo) annnnd I can't have both cards inside at once because my PSU (and my collection) only has Y cable of 8-pin and 6-pin. 2080 apparently needs 8-pin and 6-pin and the 1060 needs another 6-pin.

I'm not sure honestly what to do. I really just want to get rid of the 1060 but is my cheapest alternative to get an adapter for more PCI-E connectors.. or what

Last edited:
That won't do you any good, because if the monitor isn't CONNECTED to the 2080 Super, then it isn't USING it, at all, for gaming or otherwise. No point in having it installed if it can't be used. Plus, I'm guessing you have a really low end power supply here and that might be the biggest problem of all. People need to think things through before they pull the trigger on high end hardware, but they rarely do. And as you've already seen, that creates a lot of problems for themselves.

What is the EXACT model of your power supply?

There is no reason you can't boot to the TV using HDMI. None. Plenty of systems that way. You can't use Gsync or Freesync over HDMI, except I think maybe on some very latest standards, ie, HDMI 2.1, but that shouldn't be any factor regarding whether it can WORK in general.

As far as the the other VGA display is concerned, it's probably time to ditch that and get either another monitor with HDMI or with Displayport. Technically you could get and use a Displayport or HDMI to VGA adapter, but that's money that could be put towards a newer display which is probably money a lot better spent.

everything0

Commendable
May 11, 2017
That won't do you any good, because if the monitor isn't CONNECTED to the 2080 Super, then it isn't USING it, at all, for gaming or otherwise. No point in having it installed if it can't be used. Plus, I'm guessing you have a really low end power supply here and that might be the biggest problem of all. People need to think things through before they pull the trigger on high end hardware, but they rarely do. And as you've already seen, that creates a lot of problems for themselves.

What is the EXACT model of your power supply?

I switched from Intel to AMD, buying a Ryzen 7 3800X - so I was impatient and bought an X570 at BestBuy, because waiting even longer for a motherboard seemed lame. I'm not sure why but I figured it would be bad to re-use my Corsair 850W Gold rated PSU (worked perfectly) when putting in a new motherboard. So I also bought the following PSU.

A Thermaltake Smart 700W 80 Plus (or literally Thermaltake Smart 700W 80+ White Certified PSU, Continuous Power with 120mm Ultra Quiet Fan, ATX 12V V2.3/EPS 12V Active PFC Power Supply PS-SPD-0700NPCWUS-W). Didn't even end up being modular, and it actually has two 6+2 pins but that's not important right now.

There is no reason you can't boot to the TV using HDMI. None. Plenty of systems that way.

I had typed something out but nevermind. I guess there was something weird going on earlier. Booted successfully on the Vizio TV, I suppose I'll stick with this for now and later on.. back to 2 displays (or more!).

Also yeah, adapters. You're not wrong. This shit is old. Better to just get off VGA and get up to date with what the 2080 S actually needs and benefits from. I plan on getting a 144hz monitor, it's just not affordable right now and it's a waiting game at the moment. I'm not even sure what monitor to buy but that's another topic.

Last edited:
You took out a very good power supply, and installed a complete piece of garbage, by comparison.

If you still have the Corsair unit, put it back in , and return that Thermaltake Smart series unit. The Smart series units and TR2 units, while not the WORST power supplies you could buy by a long shot, are also in no-wise to be considered GOOD choices by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe if you live somewhere where your only alternative choices are Chieftec and Ultra, or iBall and Sharkoon, but for most regions, those are horrible options.

Take a read of my recommendations, if you'd like to learn a little more. And browsing through the additional conversations couldn't hurt either.

everything0

Commendable
May 11, 2017
Yeah, realized it was worse than the one I already had. Though, I could've figured that out based on the fact that non-modular in itself is troublesome.

I still have it, yes. I switched it tonight and switched it back over while messing around with my 2080, so I wasn't really in the mood to do it again. Later on I'll again go back to it and set up cable management properly (as right now it.. sucks) and hopefully be able to return this thermaltake.