Question So after I upgraded my cpu it can cold boot but not one boot.

pcguy256

Prominent
Jan 10, 2021
I upgraded from a i3 4130 to a i5 4690 and that's when the problem started I can boot but not restart my computer, my motherboard is h81-h3-m4 please help I want to update my windows version without corrupting it. anyone know what's happening?

Ajfer03

Great
Jan 10, 2021
Hmm, you did not describe your problem very well here. What I gathered is that you can turn your PC on, Power Off, but not Restart? There are a lot of things you can try for this, but I'm not sure exactly what I am looking at. Please elaborate further.

pcguy256

Prominent
Jan 10, 2021
ok i can do a fresh boot it will act fine and when i try to restart it it wont send a signal to the monitor it happened during a upgrade only with the cpu i did a bios update didnt work and changing the bios battery wont work it just wont send a signal its just a black screen even for minutes immediately during a restart and i have to shut it down and start it again to just use the computer hope its enough info.

Ajfer03

Great
Jan 10, 2021
Hey man, thanks for the quick reply back to me.

This sounds like a driver/software issue, and not really hardware related. I recommend doing a "Refresh My PC" operation on your computer. It will delete and reinstall all of your drivers and windows software on your PC. You will keep all of your files and settings on your computer, but Windows will completely reinstall itself. Here is a quick video on how to do it:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPq2rV2jCAo&ab_channel=MicroCenter

If the problem persists after this, reply again here, and I can start narrowing it down for you. I also recommend doing a backup of your important files before doing this, in case something goes wrong. Good luck man!

Ajfer03

Great
Jan 10, 2021
Ok, this does not sound like it is software related anymore, but it is still possible. Here's what I would do:
-Check your motherboard's manual or website for a list of supported CPU's to make sure it is on the list. If not, this is why.
-Reset your CMOS. Sometimes settings in the BIOS can get wonky over time, and a good CMOS reset is what the motherboard needs. Look at your manual for how to do that properly.
-Some drivers may not be installed on your computer properly. This is quite an advanced part of the diagnosis. Do what I said first and then report back.

Reactions: pcguy256