Question So Confused?? haunted hardware?

May 21, 2020
Windows 10 pro
I7-7700 non k
As rock H270 performance Motherboard
Samsung evo 960 ssd
Msi twin Frozr 7 1660 ti
Corsair Vengeance ddr4 2600
Ocz 750 gold series PSU

Shut my system down one night and it wouldn’t power on the next morning(only got a flash of the rgbs when power was supplied).

been working on it for days now... doing all the advice on here and testing everything buying new power supply, new motherboard, new ram after all this my best guess is the board is shorted or cpu has gone bad...

so I proceed to go spend money I really didn’t need to spend lol (the way my bank account is set up) buy a new 3600 and a 550 board. Come home eat with the family ready to install my parts went to clean everything up and the old rig is running and booted.. I’m so confused I really didn’t need to upgrade and would like to take the parts back but what in the world could cause that?

Troubleshooting steps I tried everything from trying to boot with minimal hardware (breadboarding, new ram, different ram in different slots, reseating the cpu. full reassembly of entire system part by part, clearing cmos, different older cpu, new psu, new cooler ) none of the steps above made any change I tried them daily for a at least 4 days the only thing that would happen is the RGBS on the board would flicker when you supplied fresh power I couldn't do any system troubleshooting because I'm unsure how and the system just came back on by itself while I was at the store..

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system specs and OS information for that "old rig".

Also list out the troubleshooting steps you took along with any corrective actions that you tried.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events during the time span the system failed to boot and afterwards into the time after restarting.

A complete flip from not starting to working again suggests, to me, a loose power connection somewhere. Loose enough to cause disconnections but still in place enough to where movement or temperature (expansion) restores contact. Likely to disconnect again.

Overall, more information needed.

Reactions: Mostly Goatly