So CONFUSED!!! overclocking my FX60

Nirok

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Hi, Im trying to overclock my fx-60

I have read tens of guides on overclocking. But I am still, or even more confused!! This is mostly due to the fact I have an FX-60. Most guides are for single core or cpus that the multiplyer is not unlocked.

1. I have read about ram speeds, etc and dividers. I know how to raise the FSB (or HTT). But with my FX60 i should just be able to increase the mulltipyer, is that correct? Can i just ignore the FSB(HTT)?

2. Do I need to worry about memory dividers if I am just increasing teh multiplyer?

3. I have an ASUS A8n32 SLI mobo, I cannot see any kind of option to raise teh multiplyer?

4. How do I know when I need to raise teh voltage?

5. Does it make a difference that I have a dual core CPU?

My specs are:

A8N 32 SLI Delux
FX60
4 GB PC3200 DDR400 (200mhz)
8800 GTX

funnyman06

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
It is exacly the same as a single core. Follow the directions and you will be fine. The benifit you have with the unlocked multi is the fact that you increase your clock speed and not do anything to the rest of your system. Set the multi to stock and just clock on. Granted a FX60 wont go really any farther than 3.2Ghz. pretty much the wall for AMD64 architecture. I had an Opty 165 at 3.1 Ghz on water and it was fast. But its no C2D.

And please, its the not teh. Just annoying to read.

maximiza

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
2 sticks of ram is the preferred setup for overlcocking, but having 4 megs has its advantages. I am curious what software does not run well on a FX-60?

Nirok

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
how do u mean set the multy to stock? I thought if the mutli was unlocked that was the only thing that you change?

by increasing my clock speed do u mean increasing teh FSB ( HTT )

Sorry I dont mean to write teh, just the way i type often the e comes before the h, its annoying for me to!!

Thanks

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
You should see an option for CPU multiplier on the same screen where you have options for setting your FSB. You can overclock by just upping the multi, but to find your maximum overclock, you'll probably want to add a few (i.e 5-10) mhz to the FSB. With such a small increase, you shouldnt have to change any memory settings, but that will also depend on the quality and overclockability of your RAM.

As already stated, the system works the same as it would for a single core, so follow the guides, up your multiplier if needed, and enjoy.

nerophine

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
provided u have a good cpu cooler just simply raise the CPU multiplier in bios a small voltage bump may be needed then but do not raise your voltage pass 1.55v and even that is somewhat dangerous the safest high voltage for 939's should be 1.525v thats about al u need to change good luck and dont expect to do more than 2.9ghz or so u may or may not pass that or in some cases not even pass 2.8ghz but good luck

1. I have read about ram speeds, etc and dividers. I know how to raise the FSB (or HTT). But with my FX60 i should just be able to increase the mulltipyer, is that correct? Can i just ignore the FSB(HTT)?>>>>>>>> YES

2. Do I need to worry about memory dividers if I am just increasing teh multiplyer?>>>>>>>>NO

3. I have an ASUS A8n32 SLI mobo, I cannot see any kind of option to raise teh multiplyer?>>>>>>>>Enter BIOS Setup Utility> Select Advanced Tab> Select JumperFree Configuration> Set AI Overclocking to Manual, [Manual setting gives access to FSB settings]> Set FID/VID Change to Manual, [Opens Multiplier Access, and V-Core Control]

4. How do I know when I need to raise teh voltage? >>>>>>>>Its a trial and error experimentation, my best results of increasing AMD multipliers past the default settings have been to leave the FSB at 200, make sure PCI-E is at 100, your default multiplier is 13 at 2.6Ghz, just increase the multiplier , try one whole number at the time and set to 14, that will yield 2.8Ghz, try the 14 multi on default v-core and see if it will boot into Windows if it does, run 3D Mark 03 and see if it will complete, if 3D Mark 03 will complete and give you a score you're in the ballfield. If it won't cut the power supplys power long enough for the motherboard lights to go out, then turn it back on, and the ASUS Motherboard should let you get right back into the BIOS setup without having to Clear the CMOS, but if it doesn't, then Clear the CMOS to get back into the BIOS setup and reset your settings and increase the v-Core past 1.35v to maybe 1.4v and reboot, if you get into Windows do the same test with 3D Mark 03.

Continue testing until you find your FX60s sweet spots, I was able to run a 15x multi at 1.450v-core on air cooling, your FX60 may or may not do that, keep an eye on your temps.

Note: 15x is as high as you'll successfully raise the multiplier on the FX60 on Air Cooling, you'll need to Water Cool to get to the 16x multiplier.

5. Does it make a difference that I have a dual core CPU? >>>>>>>> NO

However, what will make a difference is the 4G of memory, if you are running WinXP or Vista 32bit operating system drop the amount of Memory to 2G!

4G of memory is OK for XP and Vista 64bit OP/SYS, but not for WinXP or Vista 32bit operating systems!

My specs are:

A8N 32 SLI Delux
FX60
4 GB PC3200 DDR400 (200mhz)
8800 GTX

I have that same M/B and FX60

If you need more help PM me.