So did I just get lucky...?

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
So I just rebuilt a Dell Dimension 4600 with new Gigabyte G31 MB and E5200. I took the old reinstallation CD's and other driver crap too and just figured I would use the 30-Day Free trial of Windows XP (which you get before you activate after installing the OS). Just for sh*ts and giggles I thought I would try activating it using the old License that came with the Dell 4600 from 2003 (I didn't think it would work, but figured the worst that would happen was they would tell me I couldn't activate, so why not?) It didn't work with online activation using the product key on the case, so I tried calling them up. I just gave them the confirmation number that Windows generated and the customer service rep just activated my copy of Windows XP, without asking for a product key or COA or anything. Weird? I thought for sure I was wasting my time but it appears I just got a free license for Windows XP home? Anyone else done this before or know something I don't about the activation process for Windows XP?

bmbvenom

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
I've done that twice before with my Dell XP Home CD, I just told them I reformatted my HDD (true statement, but different comp) and I needed to get a new activation code or whatever it was that they wanted to hear. The phone support people at M$ aren't all that smart :)

Well, all they really want to do is prevent piracy. As long as the OS is on one machine, they are pretty much happy.

It's not really luck. The rep probably had the info right in front of them regarding the Dell, and knew that an exact replacement motherboard wasn't going to happen.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
I think for the casual Home user (internet/email/word processing/music) its the best OS out right now. Its simple, everything is compatible with it, its much faster than vista or Win7, and you don't need high end hardware for it to run smoothly. And I got it for free :D so I am satisfied with that.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008

Right...all of which are already registered to those computers.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Ya most likely. I will probably just pick up something cheap, but haven't decided yet. The HD 4830 is in the lead atm, since you get so much more for just $10 more over then 4670.