So Did My Computer Reset Itself?

Aeradom

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
So I get home and I find my computer has restarted. Now, I don't know if this was from an update, or the power cycled. Either way, when I log on, it started up like it never been run before (i.e. the screen that says "all your files are the same but we've got something new for you") sort of deal. So, after also noticing the background was missing I decided to just do system restore... only to discover they've all been deleted apparently. I've checked the hard disk and there's not errors so... I'm not really sure what's going on, or more to the point, what happened.

Anyone got any ideas, or see something similar?

Rabmac

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Check event viewer and reliability monitor and you should be able to work out what restarted your PC.

If this solves the problem could you pick it as a solution please to help others with the same problem.

Thanks

If you were Win 10 before and still Win 10, it may have been the big update that moves people to version 1511. That update was like a full reinstall and IIRC when completed it did give the kind of "all your files is where you left them" type message.
Don't know why background would have changed.. or if it normal to remove/reset all system restore points.. not something I checked when I did the update.. may be someone else can comment.
HTH
Cheers

Aeradom

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011

Honestly, the background just seems to be disabled is all. There's so many things collectively wrong though that as I said later, restore/refresh seems to be the route to go. Which is better incidentally?

It would seem the issue was a power failure, perhaps the computer downladed a new update but when it lost power, didn't get to install it correctly. Perhaps a refresh/rest is in order (as I don't have a system image backup, I know bad me).

Edit: Apparently there was a driver install that went bad... thought I had disabled the automatic update. Still, not sure why the system restore points would deleted...