[SOLVED] SO Dimm DDR3 1333

Aug 19, 2020
Hi there. Got a asus k52je laptop currently on 2x2gb ddr3 1333 1.5v sticks. Thinking upgrade to 2x4gb as its max system supports.
Got to 2 options
Samsung 1333 PC3 10600s for about 40€ or Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz PC3 12800 for about same price.
Its for a i3 system thats ok right? It states suitable for i5 and i7 notebooks...

Solution
Cpuz reads the actual frequency your ram is running at. So dram frequency under memory tab is showing 532 single data rate, so they are running at DDR 1066. 667 x2 (x2 for DDR - double data rate) would have showed for 1333.

1066 modules may be difficult to find so it won't matter if buying 1333/1600 due to availability if it's easier. Just that they'll both run at 1066.

DDR3L means support for both 1.35v and 1.5v.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Laptop supports 4GB dimms but not sure about at speeds of 1600, it'll have to depend on the mainboard. 1st gen i core cpu's memory controller supports 800/1066.

Crucial reckons 1600 is supported even with 1.35v sticks so good chance the ram you have considered should work but wont really know until you try it. They may default to 1066, as with your 1333 ram. 1.35v memory will run at 1.5v fine if that is what the laptop's mainboard sets them to, in case the question crosses your mind.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/asus/k52je

Can you run Cpuz and post pic of memory tab please (imgur can be used to upload images to here), and see what your current memory is actually running at, 1333 or did the laptop set them to 1066. This will sort of indicate if mainboard is capable of running faster memory than the cpu's default memory controller speed. Unless there's an option in the bios to set them, highly doubtful, but possibly is what you did if 1333 wasn't set automatically.

Upgrading to higher capacity dimms may require you to reset cmos. Possibility of improper boot if not do so. Try locate watch sized battery in case you need to do this.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020
I'll post pictures, sticks i have shows 1333 mhz even though specs on asus shows maximum support 1066 so i think 1600 might run at 1333 mhz.
but here pictures:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Current processor of laptop shows i3 370M socket 989.
Open to sugestions please

Aug 19, 2020
As you can see processor of laptop shows i3 370M socket 989.
Open to sugestions please.

Whats the difference between DDR3 and DDR3L boju?? crucial link you post shows DDR3L. L is for laptop??

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Cpuz reads the actual frequency your ram is running at. So dram frequency under memory tab is showing 532 single data rate, so they are running at DDR 1066. 667 x2 (x2 for DDR - double data rate) would have showed for 1333.

1066 modules may be difficult to find so it won't matter if buying 1333/1600 due to availability if it's easier. Just that they'll both run at 1066.

DDR3L means support for both 1.35v and 1.5v.

Last edited:
Solution
Aug 19, 2020
Ok thank you and what about Corsair modules that say its compatible with i5 and i7? Wont that matter??? I am most inclined to Corsair ones over samsung. Always heard good reviews on Corsair products.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No it won't matter. Sometimes higher class processors are mentioned because they may have a higher frequency memory controller but memory speed will also depends on the motherboard chipset. Such information should be sought from the motherboard's specification page not the ram itself, unless you got that information from Corsair. If from some 'seller page', then it's just marketing.

Mali_Mrav

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2016
I have 2x4gb (8 total) Kingston HyperX RAM in my desktop.
Can i add 2x2gb more to have 12gb total,are gona motherboard make problem bicouse i have 2 modul od 4 and 2 whit 2gb ram ? ?

Aug 19, 2020
Well think i'am going have to return corsair vengeance sticks e have bought...
system won't boot....
tried with 1x4GB stick alone, does not boot, if i put 1x corsair stick + 1x stick 2GB of my own memory system does boot and as you see in picture, shows 6144 mb memory but still system won't past windows logo...
think i problably gonna have to stick with 1333 mhz sticks 1600 might be too much... even tought i didn't reset cmos battery, but i think it would't matter....
If i put original memory back on, systems boots normally...
any suggestions??

IMG_20201219_213947.jpg
IMG_20201219_213928.jpg

Reactions: SamirD
Aug 19, 2020
i suppose it's not possible to reset cmos in Windows software?? Dont know why there isnt a bios option to do it.
Still i think problably its some MHz issue becouse only with 1x stick witch is 4gb system should boot and it only boots if i put back original stick problably it recognizes lower 1333 MHz... Try reset bios like you said, no link.... I could try Windows reinstall though but problably going to return this sticks and buy 1333mhz ones...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Na there's no cmos reset in Windows or Reinstalling wont do anything. This is on a hardware level so ram should be functional before Windows even boots. Cmos holds system parameters so clearing it would have been your best chance of getting them to work but.. too much hassle. Cmos batteries do eventually run out, albeit not till a long time, but still, it needs to be easily accessible to be replaced at one stage. Laptops can be stubborn.

Ok thank you and what about Corsair modules that say its compatible with i5 and i7? Wont that matter??? I am most inclined to Corsair ones over samsung. Always heard good reviews on Corsair products.
Both are quality brands. Samsung makes their own modules, while Corsair has someone like Samsung make them for them. Same thing in the though.
Problably i will by them from Amazon so its on announcement. Thanks
Be careful for fakes! If you can get the same thing locally for a similar price from a reputable company, I would actually go that route.

I would try both 4gb modules and see what happens. If you're still not getting a boot, then run the 4+2 that you have found to work and then check the memory by booting a live cd/usb of memtest. If it passes memtest, then it potentially could be bad/fake modules. Otherwise, I would talk to corsair support and see what they say too.