So how exactly do you hook up dual display monitors with one HDMI port?

revoo

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014
I'm sure this is a common question but I just can't seem to find a nice non-VGA solution for this.

I have one monitor hooked up to my gfx card HDMI port and I'm looking to purchase another monitor to extend the desktop.

Do I need a HDMI splitter for this or is there an easier way to accomplish this?

Thanks.

Vexillarius

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
I'm pretty sure you can't daisy-chain HDMI (you'll need DisplayPort for that) so you'll need a splitter. Pretty sure that mirrors the screens though.

EDIT: There's this though: http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/digital_se/
It basically tricks the system into thinking you're using a single, double-sized screen and then sends half the signal to one monitor and the other half to the other monitor.

revoo

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014

Would one HDMI, one VGA do the trick to extend the displays without quality degregation? How do most people hook up 2-4 displays for extension? DisplayPort?

Vexillarius

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
I believe most people use DisplayPort or more commonly, they mix and match different ports.

You could do 1 HDMI and 1 DVI/VGA/whateveryouhave. For UHD and ~120-144Hz you'd need to look up the specs of the monitor and the cable to see if it can be done without degradation.

revoo

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014

Are you aware if connecting HDMI thru iGPU and HDMI thru GPU is supported for desktop extension? If not I'll go the route of one VGA and one HDMI since it's a pretty vanilla 1080p 60hz monitor.

Vexillarius

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
I don't know to be honest. I'd think so, no harm in trying. You may have to manually turn on the iGPU through the BIOS, sometimes they auto-turn off when the system detects a dedicated graphics card.

Yeah, even VGA supports 1080p @ 60Hz so no worries there.

TRENDING THREADS