[SOLVED] So how good is Gigabyte...?

The story is... I already had a pre-purchase of a MSI 3080 Gaming X TRIO, expected to arrive by october 7, but, the vendor contacted me wanting to replace it for a GIGABYTE RTX 3080 EAGLE OC 10GB, and some refund, this one is a bit cheaper, according to them some of the MSI models were recalled and they wont have them available soon.... welp.. what do you guys think? I never bought gigabyte before... and with this whole POSCAPS and MLCC debacle im unsure...

I also got a full refund option, but no RTX's 3080 available anywhere else, and my old 980 is not cut for 1440p gaming nowadays, im on a bit of a pinch.

Solution
I’ve had a few Gigabyte cards in recent years. I cannot remember the specific model of my GTX780 and RTX2080S but they have both worked without issue. I still have the old 780 as a spare and it filled in while I waited for the 3080 after selling my 2080S pre launch. The overclocking headroom of the 3080 seems very minimal unless you use an extreme cooling solution. The real world benefits seem irrelevantly small.

I’m not a Gigabyte fan, just seem to have had a few of their cards.
Tough. There are reports of the Eagle having issues but their is also growing evidence that the capacitors are not the cause or only partly related. There is at least one gpu model with all MLCC that is crashing to desktop. I have the Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC and it has been perfect, I’m very happy with it. I can create the crashing to desktop if I push past a +65mhz OC which causes the boost to hit 2100mhz and it then crashes in Gears 5. However I don’t care, overclocking is never guaranteed.

Tough. There are reports of the Eagle having issues but their is also growing evidence that the capacitors are not the cause or only partly related. There is at least one gpu model with all MLCC that is crashing to desktop. I have the Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC and it has been perfect, I’m very happy with it. I can create the crashing to desktop if I push past a +65mhz OC which causes the boost to hit 2100mhz and it then crashes in Gears 5. However I don’t care, overclocking is never guaranteed.

I see, I don't plan to skyrocket overclock but I want a bit of a headroom, my old 980 also can be overclocked up to so much until i have a device disconnected failure message and a crash to desktop, however the temps are at the edge with a +95 core, 82C constant, being throttled the moment it hits 83c, thats my imposed limit.... however, I don't know about the overall quality of the gigabytes, cooling, etc etc.

I see, I don't plan to skyrocket overclock but I want a bit of a headroom, my old 980 also can be overclocked up to so much until i have a device disconnected failure message and a crash to desktop, however the temps are at the edge with a +95 core, 82C constant, being throttled the moment it hits 83c, thats my imposed limit.... however, I don't know about the overall quality of the gigabytes, cooling, etc etc.

To be honest would stick with the MSI 3080 Gaming X TRIO and use MSI afterburner to downclock it to the correct GPU speed because only OC is crashing these GPU. Same with any GPU you overclock it to much it crashes or starts to be funny. Also heard that 3rd partys GPU are going to be replacing these GPU with the faults for the customers!

To be honest would stick with the MSI 3080 Gaming X TRIO and use MSI afterburner to downclock it to the correct GPU speed because only OC is crashing these GPU. Same with any GPU you overclock it to much it crashes or starts to be funny. Also heard that 3rd partysn GPU are going to be replacing these GPU

sadly the Gaming X trio is not an option, it might become available later on, mid october maybe? but the way people are reaping these cards, i have a minutes short window to put my hands on one of these, that if i keep the F5 gallore going.

sadly the Gaming X trio is not an option, it might become available later on, mid october maybe? but the way people are reaping these cards, i have a minutes short window to put my hands on one of these, that if i keep the F5 gallore going.

I thought you pre purchased it anyway i would check out the reviews on the other card and go for that one because think you be waiting for 3080 for more and more days to come since its been really busy and hopefuly it calm down next year. GIGABYTE is good GPU it will run the same apart from that huge boost that your not going to have but worth it and you could have it early or middle of oct

I’ve had a few Gigabyte cards in recent years. I cannot remember the specific model of my GTX780 and RTX2080S but they have both worked without issue. I still have the old 780 as a spare and it filled in while I waited for the 3080 after selling my 2080S pre launch. The overclocking headroom of the 3080 seems very minimal unless you use an extreme cooling solution. The real world benefits seem irrelevantly small.

I’m not a Gigabyte fan, just seem to have had a few of their cards.

Solution
I thought you pre purchased it anyway i would check out the reviews on the other card and go for that one because think you be waiting for 3080 for more and more days to come since its been really busy and hopefuly it calm down next year. GIGABYTE is good GPU it will run the same apart from that huge boost that your not going to have but worth it and you could have it early or middle of oct

did pre-purchase, the ETA was october 7, but the vendor contacted me saying it wont be available, and that some cards were being recalled, I dont know if it has anything to do with the crashing issue, but its very likely as I managed a pre-purchase day 1, the only option they're giving me now is to get a full refund, or a partial refund and the eagle for being cheaper, says him that this is the only batch hes getting for the intended october 7 delivery.

did pre-purchase, the ETA was october 7, but the vendor contacted me saying it wont be available, and that some cards were being recalled, I dont know if it has anything to do with the crashing issue, but its very likely as I managed a pre-purchase day 1, the only option they're giving me now is to get a full refund, or a partial refund and the eagle for being cheaper, says him that this is the only batch hes getting for the intended october 7 delivery.

Then suggest getting that GPU if you want 3080 because you never know how long your going to be having to wait for the 3080 to come out again

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Interesting to hear that MSI recalled some 3080s. That would explain why they disappeared from some websites. It seems like they going to make some adjustments to the board design. I wouldn't be surprised if we would see more than the one MLCC capacitor behind the GPU going forward (FE is using 2 of 6, ASUS on Strix and TUF is using 6 of 6). The 3080 Gaming X Trio only uses 1 of 6. It seems like a lot of board partners just figured out that 2 out of 6 seems to be a stable solution.

Besides that, it seems that there might have been also some badly binned Ampere chips that were build into OC versions. So it might be not a bad idea to wait a few weeks or even a couple of month until the situations settles a little. Would also give some time to see what AMD has to offer....the rumor mill is starting to move and we might in for a big surprise....but maybe not! ;-)

Unfortunately, my instant gratification shoulder demon will probably make me buy a 3080 as soon as I can get my hand on one, even despite of all that....

Last edited:
Forgot to say I have not seen anything from any vendor suggesting cards will be replaced. Would be very interested if you have a link to something I have missed. I would not count on hearsay. From the latest reading it still seems possible the issue is unrelated to the capacitors.

Interesting to hear that MSI recalled some 3080s. That would explain why they disappeared from some websites. It seems like they going to make some adjustments to the board design. Would be surprised if we would see more than the one MLCC capacitor behind the GPU going forward (FE is using 2 of 6, ASUS on Strix and TUF is using 6 of 6). The 3080 Gaming X Trio only uses 1 of 6.
Recent articles have shown MSI will say anything to try and keep their image and have pressured reviewers when they publish negative but honest reviews. I wouldn’t trust anything they say. I would think to recall, retool and start getting a revised version to market could take up to 1-2 months to ship any bulk globally.

Forgot to say I have not seen anything from any vendor suggesting cards will be replaced. Would be very interested if you have a link to something I have missed. I would not count on hearsay. From the latest reading it still seems possible the issue is unrelated to the capacitors.

Well, considering im from south america, i doubt these cards even arrived tbh, its possible that they did have arrive and are indeed going back or MSI never shipped in the first place, but you vendors talk, my bet is that they didnt even received the shipment from MSI, thus not meeting the ETA on 07/10, I just got surprised with a call from them offering me the eagle guaranteed to be delivered on 07/10... but not the msi.. good lord,

i have to get it out of my chest, yes, it is to play CB2077 1440p topped ou with all the shinies....

i have to get it out of my chest, yes, it is to play CB2077 1440p topped ou with all the shinies....

I personally found my 2080S underwhelming for 1440p 144Hz, that is what made me upgrade. I am keen to play CB2077 but I can say the difference in my other games has been excellent. COD MW multiplayer went from medium settings and RT off while averaging 120+ FPS to max settings (except 1), RT on and a minimum average of 130 FPS. It’s like playing a different game. I also tried Gears 5 on my 4K TV yesterday at max settings and it looked excellent. Unfortunately I had forgotten to get a HDMI 2.1 48Gbps cable so was stuck at 60Hz. Need more time to try FS2020 and some racing games in 4K.

Last edited:
I personally found my 2080S underwhelming for 1440p 144Hz, that is what made me upgrade. I am keen to play CB2077 but I can say the difference in my other games has been excellent. COD MW multiplayer went from medium settings and RT off while averaging 120+ FPS to max settings (except 1), RT on and a minimum average of 130 FPS. It’s like playing a different game. I also tried Gears 5 on my 4K TV yesterday at max settings and it looked excellent. Unfortunately I had forgotten to get a HDMI 2.1 48Gbps cable so was stuck at 60Hz. Need more time to try FS2020 and some racing games in 4K.

and im eager for that experience,

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Interesting to hear that MSI recalled some 3080s. That would explain why they disappeared from some websites. It seems like they going to make some adjustments to the board design. I wouldn't be surprised if we would see more than the one MLCC capacitor behind the GPU going forward (FE is using 2 of 6, ASUS on Strix and TUF is using 6 of 6). The 3080 Gaming X Trio only uses 1 of 6. It seems like a lot of board partners just figured out that 2 out of 6 seems to be a stable solution.

Seems like my prediction turned out to be true: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/m...force-rtx-3080-design-amid-stability-concerns

So...the big question is, did they recall all already shipped cards (including all the inventory that was already on the way to distribution) and how can we make sure we really get a card with updated board design? Also...how long will it take until those updated cards will be available?

Seems like my prediction turned out to be true: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/m...force-rtx-3080-design-amid-stability-concerns

So...the big question is, did they recall all already shipped cards (including all the inventory that was already on the way to distribution) and how can we make sure we really get a card with updated board design? Also...how long will it take until those updated cards will be available?

It so seems that you were right, seems like the vendor wasn't bluffing and they were recalled, I've got a few hours to decide if I get the eagle or wait the next batch... Wich might as well not even be around this year... Christ... I guess I'll just get the eagle, tbh, I hate that 3x8 pin on the gaming X trio anyways.... (trying to internalize the pain)

TRENDING THREADS