Question So how many fans do I REALLY need?

Mar 21, 2019
I'm building a new PC and I'm confused by the huge array of possible numbers and configurations of fans. While I obviously want it to stay cool, I also don't feel like buying and installing a whole bunch of fans unless it's necessary to keep the system at a good temperature. The case can support up to some ridiculous number of fans, like 12, but I'm thinking that would be overkill, :)

The case is a Cougar Puritas. I will be running an Intel Core i7 9700 CPU, a GeForce RTX 2070, a GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Ultra motherboard, and a Seasonic Focus Plus 750 Platinum power supply. There will be a pair of M2 SSDs. It doesn't seem like those things would generate an unusual amount of heat. My CPU cooler will be a Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R. The case comes with 3 front-mounted 120mm fans as well. I am thinking about installing one 120mm "be quiet!" fan in the upper rear (vertical) location (or maybe on the top?), but I'm not sure if I even need that.

I will not be overclocking, or if so, only a little bit.

Do you think that will be enough? It seems like it to me. Should I add more cooling, or does it not need it? I'm not sure - I've had plenty of systems where I just used the stock fans that came with the case and things have been fine. But of course I am concerned that my spiffy new system be well cared for. I just want what I need, not overkill.

Thanks!

Last edited: