So how much Vram do you need to run Garry's Mod?

jonajohnson3

Commendable
Aug 24, 2017
So how much Vram do you need to run Garry's Mod?
I cant even play gmod with my amazing .5GB of vram.
I want to build a pc that can play gmod well. (If you played gmod, I have 200 addons and like to play darkrp)

Solution

The amount depends on the resolution and settings utilized, though I would imagine at least 1GB. If on a budget I'd look at a GTX1050 2GB card as the minimum place to start, though a GTX1050Ti 4GB is slight faster with more VRAM.

Depending on total budget, an Intel 8th gen (Coffee Lake) setup might make the most sense though AMD Ryzen is also worth considering.

I ran Garry's Mod (no mods) at max settings on my GTX680 2GB (either 1920x1080 or 2560x1440... I forget) and solid 60FPS with no issues, and that card is nearly...

The amount depends on the resolution and settings utilized, though I would imagine at least 1GB. If on a budget I'd look at a GTX1050 2GB card as the minimum place to start, though a GTX1050Ti 4GB is slight faster with more VRAM.

Depending on total budget, an Intel 8th gen (Coffee Lake) setup might make the most sense though AMD Ryzen is also worth considering.

I ran Garry's Mod (no mods) at max settings on my GTX680 2GB (either 1920x1080 or 2560x1440... I forget) and solid 60FPS with no issues, and that card is nearly identical to a GTX1050Ti (though again the GTX1050Ti has more VRAM).

... of course the CPU, system memory etc must be sufficient.

*I noticed comments about "high VRAM usage" for Garry's Mod, but that may be misleading. It's possible that the assets will keep populating the VRAM as you load things in and out, however how much you USE and how much you NEED are not necessarily the same thing since 2GB is probably plenty and GM would likely just move the data (i.e. textures) in and out of VRAM as needed.

So to answer your question I'd say get a minimum PC spec of:

GTX1050 2GB
R3-1200 (AMD) or similar Intel CPU
motherboard
8GB DDR4 (2x4GB 3000MHz for example)

W10 64-bit
PSU, case etc.

PCPARTPICKER is a useful site to create PC builds and experiment with balancing things within a set budget.

Solution
OTHER:
The addons make it more difficult to estimate the requirements, though very high texture mods would likely be the most demanding on the VRAM, and anything graphical aside from that more GPU processing intensive.

Any card with only 512MB of VRAM has a very weak GPU on it which isn't even close to what a GTX1050/1050Ti can do.