Question So how safe/terrible is this PSU for a minimalist system?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Say, for a test-bed with a mid-range CPU (65W) and, a GPU with no PCIe connector. Right now, Ryzen 5 1600AF and either a GT 730 or Quadro K600 for GPU.

Disclaimer: It's a 20-pin ATX connector in an HP system, but is plugged into a motherboard that came with that HP from the factory with a 24-pin connector. Is that even something that will work on a modern, current gen motherboard? At the moment, I'm considering sticking a B450M motherboard

Also, stop laughing, I realize it's only 168W on the 12V rail . . but, within that limit, is it safe, or still a dumpster fire?

0pdHpPA.jpg

I absolutely do plan to get a proper PSU before I put in any sort of mid-range or higher GPU, or do anything particularly demanding on it. This is more of a "for the time being, can I install Windows, and do some minor CPU tests" situation.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Based on the proprietary connector alone I probably wouldn't even try.

In my own experience, and I haven't looked in a minute, EVGA has a commonly found 600W "white" power supply priced from ~$25-40 give or take some shipping. I trust them up to the mid 300 to just breaking 400W load and have never had a specific issue from them with that limit in mind. I have had similar experience with the "Smart Power" or "Eco" from Antec IIRC. I have also re-used gold rated ATX supplies out of older Dell systems as well.

Keep in mind that the above units are all trash by design or age, but often there is very little point at spending money on a "quality" level PSU for a leftover or low end build pulling a couple hundred watts if that.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Based on the proprietary connector alone I probably wouldn't even try.

In my own experience, and I haven't looked in a minute, EVGA has a commonly found 600W "white" power supply priced from ~$25-40 give or take some shipping. I trust them up to the mid 300 to just breaking 400W load and have never had a specific issue from them with that limit in mind. I have had similar experience with the "Smart Power" or "Eco" from Antec IIRC. I have also re-used gold rated ATX supplies out of older Dell systems as well.

Keep in mind that the above units are all trash by design or age, but often there is very little point at spending money on a "quality" level PSU for a leftover or low end build pulling a couple hundred watts if that.
Side note, just for clarity - I don't think the connector is proprietary. ATX used to be 20-pin. Then at some point it moved to 24 pin. At one point, as 24-pin became a thing, PSUs started doing this to cover both older and newer motherboards:

atx-24-pin-connector.jpg

That said, now that I'm thinking about this, Dell back in the day had something that looked like a standard 20-pin ATX connector . . but it was not, in fact electrically the same.

Maybe I'd better not plug this PSU into ANYTHING else...

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech