So I am about to get a GTX770 but I need to know psu

Solution
Go for a 650W one in case you WANT to SLI in the future. It is good so that you won't have to buy a whole new PSU. That is why I got a 750W to start.
G

why in the world would you need a 800w CPU for those components? purely from a TDP standpoint and depending on what else is plugged into your system one could argue that a good 400w PSU could be enough, unless you run furmark all day.

so to be on the safe side and maybe have a bit of headroom, i'd say just get a 500w PSU, anything above that is overkill if you're not planning to overclockor go SLI.

just don't buy one of those cheap chinese $20 crackers and you should be set for the next couple years.

UrbanNoodles

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

The board only has the 1 free x16 PCIe slot that the 770 will go into. not sure if it is a 2.0 or 3.0 and not sure how to check as i am like a lost child in a candy store when it comes to win8 navigation

It also has a PCIe x1 that is in use, but im not sure by what as the white and black cords that come from it dont connect to anything and are connected to metal on either side of the case

UrbanNoodles

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

I do plan to SLI another 770 on a new mobo, but that will be in the future when the one 770 isnt enough anymore. by then I will have money to get a new PSU for sure. Ill get a 550W just in case

UrbanNoodles

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

Will i still get good results from the 770? im upgrading the mobo next month so i wont have this bad one for much longer. Would you say with a 550W psu that it'd be alright to put a 770 onto this mobo, for the month it takes me to upgrade it?

Andrew Buck

Honorable

Alright, but the PCIe 1.0 x16 is 4 GB/Second of bandwidth, and with a high end GPU like that, it requires at least 6 or 8 GB/Second (PCIe 2.0 x16, PCIe 3.0 x8). When you get a new motherboard, try to get a motherboard that has PCIe 3.0 or at least PCIe 2.0. That aside, good luck in your build and you will be satisfied with results :)

Andrew Buck

Honorable

Oh yeah. That is fine. My PC (specs in signature) at FULL load only takes about 575 Watts.

UrbanNoodles

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

so the bottlenecking from the PCIe 1.0 shouldnt be bad and will still allow it to function? i just dont want to end up buying a 770 and not being able to use it for a month or so

EDIT:
Found my PC on amazon and it has a more detailed spec list, says the PCIe x16 is a 3.0 so its all good! thank you for the help I will also get a 650W. Thank you for your help Buck

Andrew Buck

Honorable

If it is PCIe 3.0, then you are perfectly fine. That will give no bottleneck. The i5 is solid for gaming as well.