[SOLVED] So I bought GTX 1080 last year...

Solution
Time marches on. Lots of people paid $450 for a Ryzen 1800X. You can get a 3700X for less now. That is just the way technology moves on. You can't compare the value. You got 1 year of use out of your card and can continue to use it for several more years.

kanewolf

Titan
Time marches on. Lots of people paid $450 for a Ryzen 1800X. You can get a 3700X for less now. That is just the way technology moves on. You can't compare the value. You got 1 year of use out of your card and can continue to use it for several more years.

Solution
You will never have top of the line hardware a year from purchase. I bought my Q6600 right when the G0 stepping was released and 6 months later the newer 45nm Q9000 series that clocked and OCed better launched.

My 980Ti was made second fiddle not long after I bought it by the 1080. My current 1080 is now a mid high end GPU.

Unless you plan to buy every single year you will never have top of the line. However the 1080 is still a very viable card for 1440 and 1080p gaming.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It was top notch product. Paid ~600 euros for MSI ARMOR edition.

Looking at GPU's now... https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
There are better ones for a lot less... Like RX 5700 XT, RTX 2070 Super, etc.

Did I lose badly (basically unlucky)? I heard they don't even produce them anymore. What happened?

Depending on when last year you bought, particularly if you bought early in the year, prices were still inflated due to the cryptocurrency craze, particularly Ethereum.

In February 2018 I thought myself lucky to be able to snag a Founders Edition GTX 1080 from Nvidia's website within the 5 minutes that it went from in stock to out of stock. That was, after tax, I believe US$579.

Today, in order of performance from lowest to highest the RTX 2060 Super, RX 5700, RX 5700 XT, and RTX 2070 can be had for less, and the RTX 2070 Super for the same price or a little less.

In order of performance, lowest to highest: RTX 2060 Super, RTX 2070, RX 5700, RTX 2070 Super, RX 5700 XT.

The price inflation from cryptocurrency speculation is gone, and technology has progressed.

They are no longer produced because the 16- and 20- series cards have come out.

The unlucky portion of it was only if purchased during the crypto-craze.